starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining muscle without a caloric excess?

Default Gaining muscle without a caloric excess?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    To keep this short, I was wondering if it was possible to build muscle while eating around maintenance calories? I want to maintain my current body weight, since I'm in a weight class sport, but want to fill out some underdeveloped areas. Now I know normally the answer to this question is "no" or "almost impossible" but unlike most I'm not trying to add a bunch of muscle to my already strong/muscular legs/chest/back. I want to add muscle to areas that normally don't get hit much by my training (which is why they're underdeveloped). I have done nothing besides 5x5 and the major lifts, no assistance or accessory work ever. Specifically, I want to add mass to my neck, traps, delts, arms, and calves. So, would incorporating some direct isolation work for these areas on a maintenance (possibly slightly under/over) diet be beneficial or would I be wasting my time and see no growth?

So, would incorporating some direct isolation work for these areas on a maintenance (possibly slightly under/over) diet be beneficial or would I be wasting my time and see no growth?
    Muscle growth is a slow, insidious process anyway- particularly in a trained lifter. You might see some short term growth via added volume/training of previously undertrained or untrained muscle groups but significant size acquisition is unlikely.

Also, you're a weight class athlete now? I though you were doing the Police Acacemy and rugby?

Wasn't there a question with almost the exact same situation a few months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Wasn't there a question with almost the exact same situation a few months ago?
    Likely. I'm becoming forgetful at my advanced age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Likely. I'm becoming forgetful at my advanced age.
    All your gainz are killing your brainz.

Muscle growth is a slow, insidious process anyway- particularly in a trained lifter. You might see some short term growth via added volume/training of previously undertrained or untrained muscle groups but significant size acquisition is unlikely.

Also, you're a weight class athlete now? I though you were doing the Police Acacemy and rugby?
    Alright, well I guess I'll see how it goes. I really just train for strength anyhow.

Yeah, I didn't end up going out for rugby, the overall commitment was too much for a club team in my opinion. So I went back to grappling, bjj to be exact. I was cutting for a while in an attempt to make lightweight (163.5) but decided just to maintain/bulk a little and go middleweight (177.0) so I can retain my strength and lbm seeing as I am about 169.0 in the mornings right now and about 11-12% bf. Water cutting isn't an option for these tournaments, as the weigh ins are done immediately before the divisions matches begin.

Yep, just worked with a guy who had a tournament 2 weeks ago. Walks around at 170, 3 weeks out we started dropping cals, got him to 166, then did a little water/salt manipulation so he weighed 163.5 in his uniform (or whatever it is) and was fine.

I do think middleweight would be good for you, however.

Yep, just worked with a guy who had a tournament 2 weeks ago. Walks around at 170, 3 weeks out we started dropping cals, got him to 166, then did a little water/salt manipulation so he weighed 163.5 in his uniform (or whatever it is) and was fine.

I do think middleweight would be good for you, however.
    What did he eat/drink before his first match? Or was his weigh in a couple hours before?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
    What did he eat/drink before his first match? Or was his weigh in a couple hours before?
    BCAAs + water (~8oz) + 1/2 strength Gatorade (~8oz total). It was 10 minutes before the match IIRC

starting strength coach development program
    Oh wow. Well then maybe I could make lightweight. Hmmm. I wonder if the extra strength and bigger breakfast is better than a lighter weight class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast