starting strength gym

Thread: Digestive issues.

Default Digestive issues.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Getting my macros has been a problem for me because of digestive issues. I am taking digestive enzymes w/my main meals (Pepsigen), but often times the food just sits in my gut. When it's time to eat again I have no appetite. If I eat anyway it can make me ill and then I'm really out of whack.

I typically have yogurt and granola for breakfast, along w/a couple of eggs. Mid morning I'll have a whey smoothie w/a couple of bananas and raspberries or strawberries. For lunch a large green salad and 4-5 oz chicken or fish. Mid afternoon I'll drink a quart of kiefer, and in the evening it c/b anything, but I shoot for another 30g of protein. I tracked my macros for a while and on a good day (when I was able to digest everything) I'd get ~3,000kCals. About 24% P, 46% C, & 30% fats. I need a fair amount of fiber too, to keep things moving.

I'm 61 years old and early in the novice progression. My progress is slow because I'm not eating enough.

Any help you can offer me w/b greatly appreciated.

All food you eat will "sit in your gut" to be fully absorbed and then move down the line when it's done. I'd aim to increase water intake and fibrous foods along your current diet and aim for eating 4x a day spread out 4-5 hrs each time.

You're digesting everything though, that's for sure- unless you get diarrhea post meal.

I had really bad digestive issues for a few months, turns out it was the whey protein I was using. Switched brands and everything cleared up.

If you don't mind me asking Mr_Rogers, to what brand did you switch? I tried using Optimum Nutrition's Natural Whey but that stuff was horrible for my stomach. I'm looking for something else. Perhaps a purely isolate protein (Dymatize Elite Whey is unfortunately isolate and concentrate).

Get iso-1000.

I switched to PVL, but after talking with Jordan I'll be switching to the Iso-100. I've had good results with Allmax Isolate as well. IDK what prices are like in the US, but isolates are not cheap up here. So I'll have to do some deal hunting online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Get iso-1000.
    Is this a typo? I see iso 100. Assuming you mean by Dymatize. Google doesn't think iso-1000 exists either...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kgreen06 View Post
    Is this a typo? I see iso 100. Assuming you mean by Dymatize. Google doesn't think iso-1000 exists either...
    This is why you guys are missing out on teh gainzZz.