starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Prong Vs. Double Prong Belts

Default Single Prong Vs. Double Prong Belts

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    What do you prefer?

Why are there two different types?

Currently have a double prong 10mm but I'm getting too large for it - thinking of upgrading to a 13mm but am undecided about the prongs.

Thanks.

Single Prong... I see no benefit of having 2.

I have both kinds and definitely prefer the single prong. The double prong more evenly distributes the stress placed on the belt so in theory, it should last a little bit longer. I have noticed that the holes in my single prong belt have stretched a little over time, but I still prefer it due to the ease of use.

I have a Best Prime Cut 13mm double prong and love it. Hella stable.
    Double prongs look totally badass.

single prong but wish I had a lever belt tbh

Get a single. A double is a massive pain to get off sometimes,especially at the end of a heavy set. I wish I ordered a single.

Lever > Single > Double
    Belts last for years regardless of whether or not they are single or double prong. If you have to get a new belt every 5-10 years instead of every 10-20, who really cares? All belts with hole occasionally put you "between" holes especially when your body composition is changing rapidly. This leaves you with a tighter belt on some days than others. A lever belt, while frustrating to adjust at times, offers the advantage of being able to get the exact level of tightness that you want every single time. Admittedly, it is more annoying than a single prong belt, though.

13mm > 10mm
    Because you're allowed 13mm so why not use it? You'll lift more.

Hope that helps.

I bought a double on accident. The extra prong is no big deal, plus it looks cooler. Get whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Lever > Single > Double
    Belts last for years regardless of whether or not they are single or double prong. If you have to get a new belt every 5-10 years instead of every 10-20, who really cares? All belts with hole occasionally put you "between" holes especially when your body composition is changing rapidly. This leaves you with a tighter belt on some days than others. A lever belt, while frustrating to adjust at times, offers the advantage of being able to get the exact level of tightness that you want every single time. Admittedly, it is more annoying than a single prong belt, though.

13mm > 10mm
    Because you're allowed 13mm so why not use it? You'll lift more.

Hope that helps.
    I've never had to do it, but don't people sometimes make their own holes if they are "between" holes too? Or is that a bad idea?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    All belts with hole occasionally put you "between" holes especially when your body composition is changing rapidly. This leaves you with a tighter belt on some days than others. A lever belt, while frustrating to adjust at times, offers the advantage of being able to get the exact level of tightness that you want every single time. Admittedly, it is more annoying than a single prong belt, though.
    Tom do you use a lever belt? If so, which one? I've been considering getting one because of the reasons you mentioned, especially since I'll be dropping some weight in the next few months. However, I've heard from some people, e.g. Callador, that the lever breaks occasionally. I think Inzer has a lifetime guarantee though...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast