starting strength gym

Thread: Just for a change of pace, here's a squat check

Default Just for a change of pace, here's a squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So, I've been working on my squat issue which involves my knees not setting early enough in the movement. I was intending to film another check last week, but I got sick and got back into the gym today, feeling like I'd never lifted anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GwwM...ature=youtu.be

Stuff that I noticed:

1. My goddamn knees still aren't setting early enough, but I think they look a lot better than they did last time round.

2. I thought depth looked a bit suspect on a couple reps, but I may be terrible at judging it.

Thanks, coach(es)

I don't remember, or haven't seen, your previous squat check(s). These are ok. Depth is fine. You sometimes let your knees slide forward just a bit at the bottom of the movement, but it's very minor. Keep focusing on it, it could improve but it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I don't remember, or haven't seen, your previous squat check(s). These are ok. Depth is fine. You sometimes let your knees slide forward just a bit at the bottom of the movement, but it's very minor. Keep focusing on it, it could improve but it's nothing to be overly concerned about.
    Outstanding, I'll keep an eye on that slide.

Thanks Michael.

One way to do so is to lower your gaze point low enough that you can see them as you squat. Then use your GIANT BRAIN to keep them still.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    One way to do so is to lower your gaze point low enough that you can see them as you squat. Then use your GIANT BRAIN to keep them still.

I'll give that a shot, although I'll probably be digging my chin into my chest if I lower my gaze any more. Well, I'll try it and see what happens.

Thou dost exaggerate too much...

Thou dost exaggerate too much...
    Thou underestimate the size of my chin.

In all seriousness though, is there a downside to basically pointing your head down? Can you look down too much?

Not really, though some people have trouble with a gaze point being to close, but jeez, you're eyeballs are not fixed in your head. I can look down at my toes with my head pointed forward....

In any event you need to just be able to see your knees at the bottom. You do have peripheral vision, don't you?

starting strength coach development program
    Not really, though some people have trouble with a gaze point being to close, but jeez, you're eyeballs are not fixed in your head. I can look down at my toes with my head pointed forward....

In any event you need to just be able to see your knees at the bottom. You do have peripheral vision, don't you?
    Sure sure. I'd never actually tried focusing on my knees in that way, which is weird because it's in SSBBT. I'll keep an eye on them.