starting strength gym

Thread: Macro's and calorie counting, need help!

Default Macro's and calorie counting, need help!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

I'm a young male in early twenties (6'1, 215) who is following the practical programming novice program from Starting Strength, how important is actually counting macro's and specifically, how important is carbs in the diet. Is it possible to cut back on calories and more specifically by cutting back on carbs while still making strength gains by say upping protein intake. I'm not competitive lifter nor am I a body builder. Just looking for a solid frame and the strength helps at work. I just have a lot of excessive body fat from my intake during the first 16 weeks of my programming. The strength gains have been unreal but so has the body fat.

Also, say I still ate a calorie surplus but just cut back on the carbs, would this reduce the body fat I'm putting on while still supporting strength gains?

Thanks for your help!

Answer to your questions that have been answered a bunch on here. Start here then come back and read this subforum start to finish.

1) not terribly important unless you have a history of binge eating/undereating/gaining too much weight/not gaining weight/having results that are not as desired.

2) Carbohydrates are very important for strength training.

3) No. Increasing protein intake will not make up for lack of carbohydrates

4) No. If you're still in a surplus you'll still be gaining weight and thus, not reducing body fat *unless you were a real novice*