starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Verlander Squat

Default Justin Verlander Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://www.stack.com/video/161476453...tin-verlander/

The best pitcher in baseball half squats and had an abdominal injury at the end of last year from said squats

Someone on Facebook just posted an article from Men's Health about how some MLB/NHL/NFL strength coach cut out back squats because they're a lower back exercise and he trains all his athletes with squat variations that take the back out. I wanted to hurl my laptop out the window. It's as bad as bro science.

How do assholes like that get a job?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

They don't even follow their own instructions given in the text below the video...

Squat until thighs are parallel to ground

I've heard John Welbourn talk about NFL "strength" coaches. I'm paraphrasing, but he said their job is simply to keep the athlete functioning. No injuries, no major loss in ability. That's it. If an NFL strength coach boasts about their coaching ability getting a player stronger, it's likely bullshit. No one gets drafted into the NFL with a 350lb squat. I'd be more interested to know what an NFL lineman was doing strength wise in high school and college.

The guy is a Cy Young winner, 6 x all star and has pitched two no hitters and a few more that were into late innings. The strength coach could play cards with him all day if he wanted. Just don't hurt the guy.

My issue is the kid and his dad that watches this and shows up at my gym wanting to throw a ball 90 mph. It takes me 40 minutes of talking to undo this damage they have seen.

At least his eye gaze was towards the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    The guy is a Cy Young winner, 6 x all star and has pitched two no hitters and a few more that were into late innings. The strength coach could play cards with him all day if he wanted. Just don't hurt the guy.
    Yup

Also keep in mind that these guys are more like well payed child minders than strength coaches as they have essentially zero authority. What you see these athletes doing is not typically a good representation of what the coach knows or what he would have your 18 year old college hopeful son doing. I know coach in the video and to give you some perspective of the challenges that exists doing anything productive at this level, the last time I saw him I witnessed an argument he was having with one of his star players, an MVP caliber player, over the player's desire to put his an rocker in the middle of the weight room. The player won and there became one fewer platforms to use productively.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah but Matt Harvey full squats so Verlander can kiss his ass.

Note: I have no idea if this is true, but Harvey is the man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast