starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pain/discomfort

Default Knee pain/discomfort

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been running SS for the last couple of months and have been experiencing some discomfort in my knees (not crippling pain, just a weird feeling on the inside of my knees) on and off for a while. I didn't think too much of it and kept working through it without too much distress, but the other night I woke up with a sore knee (not debilitating, but clearly not right). It felt a bit like a bruise would feel (skin was sensitive, when I bent my leg fully, i.e. so the calf was touching my hamstring there was a painful sensation over/through my whole knee area). I decided to pull up for a while and stay off the squats (still carrying on with deads) for a week to see what happens.

Other (may or may not be pertinent) info:
    * I used to do a fair bit of running (now I run 5km or thereabouts once a week) and play a fair bit of tennis. I bought some new runners recently (January) that didn't really support the inside of my foot very well (when I was at the physio for a lower back issue recently she commented on my flatfootedness in those shoes in passing)
    * I've been squatting for a while and have run SS, or a high-barred variation, in the past with no knee issues
    * The issue is in both knees. It gets worse when I'm standing for extended periods, and when I wake in the morning it's usually fine
    * The sensation is on the inside of my knee - it feels like where the joint is, near the kneecap. When I straighten my knee to say 150 degrees or thereabouts it feels like there's some strange resistance there
    * I posted a form check a little while ago at http://startingstrength.com/resource...d=1#post864094 - my knees do track forward slightly when I squat, evidently

All that said, I feel like running/walking in my new shoes has been putting stress on the inside of my knees so I blame them, but I'm kind of making that up. Does this sound familiar? I read a lot of stuff about patellar tendonitis/runners knee/whatever but I'm not sure how closely my symptoms match these. If it continues for too much longer I'll go to the doc coz I want to get back into squatting ASAP, but in the meantime just wondering whether this is something obvious/common that you guys have experience with.

TIA!

Every knee pain issue I've ever had has been from not pushing my knees out enough while squatting. If they track in even an inch I'll wind up with knee pain that hurts when doing simple things like going up stairs. I'd recommend really focusing on exaggerating the knees out cue and seeing if that helps.