starting strength gym

Thread: Few creatine questions

Default Few creatine questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1) I started 5 grams/day about 10 days ago. I know it causes water retention but I've been thirsty and subsequently pissing like a racehorse ever since. Does this taper off once saturated? I don't think my next rotation will have as many bathroom breaks available.

2) likewise, I'm gaining weight, about 5 pounds in the first 7 days. Presumed water retention and it tapers off once saturated? If so, should I load it up for 3'days to get this shit over with?

3) medical question with all the known medical caveats. Just merely asking for information, not medical advice. I have to be careful using NSAIDs because at higher doses it reduced my estimated GFR and when I stopped naproxen high dose, GFR went back to normal (cause/effect established). I see warnings on all the various places about renal damage with creatine but I can't find any evidence (hard or otherwise) or even postulate a presumed mechanism whereby it reduces filtration or affects the tubules. Yes, it can increase serum creatinine but so does increased muscle mass. Any lit that you know of or is it because they sound too much alike?

1) I have not noticed or read much on increased urinary frequency with creatine, though most people will drink more water, which obviously leads to more urination. Creatine helps pull water into the muscle cell, which is an anabolic trigger, but perhaps the increased water consumption (if present) is driving the extra bathroom visitis.

2) Yea it'll taper off and no need to load it now. Just 3-5g a day everyday ad infinitum.

3) Creatine cyclizes to creatinine so your creatinine level will be higher, but it doesn't effect GFR. So really creatine drives up creatinine values in both an indirect and direct way. Also, they're dosing kids with cerebral palsy with 63g/day or so of creatine and no renal adverse reactions have been reported...just sayin'.

Pretty much agree with dr. GainzZz. I've searched the literature and I'm yet so see anything regarding creatine and kidney injury.

That's what I thought. No evidence of altering actual filtration. Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the lit.