starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of a bar is this? Is this a junior bar?

Default What kind of a bar is this? Is this a junior bar?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It's smaller than the other bars at my gym... Does it look like it weights 35 lbs or 45 lbs? I can't tell when I lift it. I find it much easier to bench with this bar since my hands are basically the size of small child's.

take it to the scale and weigh it. it is hard to tell when you don't take a photograph of the whole bar.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    take it to the scale and weigh it. it is hard to tell when you don't take a photograph of the whole bar.
    Will take a pic of the whole bar next time. The scale isn't in the weight room so no; weighing it isn't really an option for me.

I am pretty sure the length is identical to that of the regular bar but will take a photo tomorrow to make sure.

Now that I think about it i have a digital bathroom scale that i can maybe take with me next time. I am sure people will think I am crazy and deranged if I took it out on the floor and laid the bar on top of it.

If you take a picture, put what you know is a standard 20KG bar next to it. Both a women's 15KG bar, and a Junior 10KG bar, are shorter, with a junior bar having really short sleeves. Chances are it's just a standard bar with a thinner diameter. If it were a women's or junior bar, it'd be pretty obviously different.

Junior bar example: http://board.crossfit.com/attachment...8&d=1295808313
    Women's bar example: http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4f50f430.jpg

Is it 7ft long?

Quote Originally Posted by jnow View Post
    Now that I think about it i have a digital bathroom scale that i can maybe take with me next time. I am sure people will think I am crazy and deranged if I took it out on the floor and laid the bar on top of it.
    why would that be crazy to know how much weight you are lifting? and the way to do it is to weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    why would that be crazy to know how much weight you are lifting? and the way to do it is to weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the bar.
    thanks for the tip. I'll do it that way.

Not crazy but unusual because it's not really normal for anyone at my gym (commercial gym) to care that much. I've never seen anyone else come in with their own scale and weigh a bar so it would be unusual. Not that I care that much; I'll still do it cause I would like to know. I just know that people are going to stare (not that it matters).

Thanks for telling me how to measure it tho. My first instinct was to just lay the bar on the scale.
    Last edited by jnow; 05-07-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    Is it 7ft long?
    I'll measure next time. I am almost certain it is the same length as a regular bar.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    If you take a picture, put what you know is a standard 20KG bar next to it. Both a women's 15KG bar, and a Junior 10KG bar, are shorter, with a junior bar having really short sleeves. Chances are it's just a standard bar with a thinner diameter. If it were a women's or junior bar, it'd be pretty obviously different.

Junior bar example: http://board.crossfit.com/attachment...8&d=1295808313
    Women's bar example: http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4f50f430.jpg

I'll put the regular bar underneath next time and compare. To be honest I think it is 45 lbs but just thinner diameter. 15 lbs is extremely light for me and I would pretty much feel nothing benching just the bar (for warm ups) if it were 15 lbs ... I have a feeling it is 45 lbs but thinner.
    I also think it is the same length as the regular one but not sure. It's definitely not as short as a junior bar. I'll bring a tape measure and take better pics as well as bring my scale next time. Most likely tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    why don't you just do a one handed bench or one handed barbell curl with both of your bars. You should be able to feel a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast