starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type 1 Diabetes and HbA1c

Default Type 1 Diabetes and HbA1c

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,
    In your recently posted lecture video, you mentioned the beneficial impact heavy lifting has on HbA1c levels for people with Type 2 diabetes.

Are you aware of any studies that have demonstrated similar effects for people with Type 1 diabetese?
    --Vince

Yes, there has been some research showing improved glucose handling in type I diabetics who resistance train- not to mention the effect on lipids (higher HDL and lower LDL) and blood pressure, all of which contribute to the global picture of a type 1 diabetic's health.

I've heard lots of anecdotes of Type 1's who reduced or very nearly elimanated their need for exogenous insulin through resitance training + dietary measures.

I hope this is not an unwelcome intrusion, but Wal-Mart has A1C tests for <$9, so you can do your own self-study by testing yourself. It is sensible to test more than just every 3 months. I buy them and I'm not diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Konkorde View Post
    I hope this is not an unwelcome intrusion, but Wal-Mart has A1C tests for <$9, so you can do your own self-study by testing yourself. It is sensible to test more than just every 3 months. I buy them and I'm not diabetic.
    It is not sensible to test unless you are the one writing your own prescriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    It is not sensible to test unless you are the one writing your own prescriptions.
    It's like medical voyeurism or something...Will we see it in DSM 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's like medical voyeurism or something...Will we see it in DSM 6?
    Preventative hypochondriasis. TM pending.

Just the next step beyond getting a whole body CT scan in the shopping mall for piece of mind.

Honestly using hba1c as a home screen in a nondiabetic will accomplish nothing other than getting you to a doctor who will repeat it anyway. Why would you screen yourself more often than every 3 months if you don't have the disease? All you do by repeating and repeating and repeating tests is increase the chance of a false positive. We typically screen nondiabetics yearly if they are at reasonable risk of developing diabetes or have concurrent risk factors. For a diabetic the rationale for screening every 3 months is to manage therapeutic decisions. And diabetics (ideally) are keeping a glucose log too, so the hba1c isn't in a vacuum.

It's well known that patients perform very poorly on self administered diagnostic tests, everything from home urinalysis and home pregnancy tests to malaria rapid detection kits. People overcall negatives and undercall positives.

Just the next step beyond getting a whole body CT scan in the shopping mall for piece of mind.

Ever think of private practice?? :-) $$$$$$$$

starting strength coach development program
    Perish the thought. I'd sooner become a rabbi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast