starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't do squat!

Default Can't do squat!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just logging my attempt to make my very feeble body less feeble using SS. Will do deadlift instead of power cleans until the deadlifts get boring (as recommended by the book).

5/26/2014 - Set A

Cardio warm-up, 5min in bike, low resistance.

Squat
    Warm-up
    0lb 2x5
    Training: 45lb
    Reps: 5, 3, 1. Squats are hard.
    post-training extra squat for shame and practice
    0lb 3x5

Overhead press
    Warm-up
    45lb 3x5
    55lb 1x5, too heavy
    Training: 50lb
    Reps: 5, 5, 5. Yay!

Deadlift
    Warm-up/Training: 135lb
    Reps: 5. Yay!

Welcome. Now , give us some stats like Male or female, age, height, and weight. How long have you been doing this? Is a Starting Strength coach available to you? Do you know why you "can't do squats"?

I'm male, 29, 6ft. Haven't weighed myself in a long time, but my guess is 190lbs. I started this week. I'm going maverick given that the book explains itself very well and I'm trying to save money on coach for as long as I can. My goals are squat 1BW, deadlift 1.5BW, overhead press 100lbs, which are maybe modest in the community, but would make me quite happy for now. I do have a "get quickly to that point" attitude to compensate for the lack of lofty goals .

In terms of experience, the only type of weight training I've done before were dumbbells and machines to support running/swimming/ice hockey in amateur level - I was always a "do the sport to get good at the sport" type of guy. The only competitive sport I practiced was table tennis (yeah), where cross-training was side-to-side calisthenics and high volume rotation/abs with low weights.

The "can't do squat" title is with tongue deeply placed in cheek. I actually can do squats and the cues from the book are matching my experience so I'm not feeling the need for a coach yet. I was sore, but didn't feel any type of injury type pain. I'm just very weak at the lift, (see above!) and will work to get to at least 1BW.

Congrats on tacking control of your life bud! If you didn't know, take advantage of the nutrition section. Look forward to seeing your progress and I'm quite certain I'll be jealous as you surpass my weak-ass!

Quote Originally Posted by iFreedom View Post
    Congrats on tacking control of your life bud! If you didn't know, take advantage of the nutrition section. Look forward to seeing your progress and I'm quite certain I'll be jealous as you surpass my weak-ass!
    Don't sell yourself short yo!

Ok, so I weighed myself and I am 199lbs. And I'm actually 5ft11. I'm still male and 29 still though that part was correct.

Warm-up: 5mins @ row. That's more fun than bike.

Squat
    0lb 3x5, was able to get the form right with a pvc pipe.
    45lb 1x5, good form and speed
    55lb 1x2, horrible form, couldn't recover from down in second. Turns out safety bars work!
    Reps: 5, 5, 5. Last one felt really heavy.
    Had no idea 10lbs made that much difference. Guess that's why LP work.

Bench press
    Warm-up
    35lb 1x5, 45 1x5
    Reps: 5, 5, 5. Probably could've done 55, but this felt quite hard as is.

Deadlift:
    Warm-up
    135lb 1x5
    Training: 155lb
    Reps: 5.
    Could've increased more, but I'll be disciplined and do 20lb increase max.

Felt good overall. Had a bit of soreness on the shoulder from last time, didn't interfere with weights. Probably nothing to be concerned with.

Congrats on starting the program. Keep it up, and you'll be amazed.

Day 3

Wasn't feeling too strong today, don't know why. Pretty bad workout.

Squat
    0lb 3x5, fell back a couple of times trying to do it.
    45lb 1x5, for warm-up, thought it was ok.
    55lb 1x2. Did one squat, friend at gym said wasn't deep. Tried to go deep in the second squat, fell down on my back. Should I be leaning forward? Will re-read the chapter.
    Reps: 5, 5, 5. Ugh. Stalling already? Maybe I'm not going deep enough on these as well? Will focus on form more next time, maybe take a video and get feedback?

Press:
    Warm-up:
    45lb 3x5
    Reps: 5, 4, 2. Argh.

Deadlift:
    Warm-up:
    135lb 1x5
    155lb 1x2
    Training: 165lb
    Reps: 5.
    Deadlift is the only thing progressing and I just started.

Definitely get video.

The squat took me a while to learn. Don't get discouraged. Check the training videos for that lift and as bomber wrote if at all possible get a video up here so we can see what may be the problems you are facing.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm going to watch you become a beast. Stick with it my friend. I'm currently training with a friend of mine who started with weights and bodyweight similar to yours and now his worksets are 190lb squat, 160lb bench, 100 lb press, and a 230 lb deadlift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast