starting strength gym

Thread: Why don't you use the halting/rack pull combo?

Default Why don't you use the halting/rack pull combo?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    You don't seem to like haltings at all.

I've always just preferred other deadlift variants to the halting.

I guess you'd prefer an RDL/rack pull combo.

Which do you think is better for strengthening the lower back for the very start of the deadlift - haltings or RDL?

I like strict deficit deads in place of the halting. But I can see the other side of the argument. Haltings use more weight due to the short range of motion than a deficit deadlift does. That added weight might make haltings the better alternative.

I also think dead-stop rack squats need to be looked at as a driver of deadlift starting power.

Yeah, I definitely agree with what you've said elsewhere about getting stronger on the deadlift by really focusing on getting stronger on the squat, dead-stop squats especially.

I've got plenty of force from the knees and hips, but (perhaps because of a recent back tweak) I can feel my spinal erectors failing to keep my spine rigid to transfer that force to the bar, so my deadlift and squat are very close together - both around 530-540.

Haltings seem like they'll fix the problem, and hopefully 500+ for an 8RM will mean a 600 deadlift.

I've heard George Leeman advocate deadlift stance box squats for developing leg-drive for the deadlift. In trying them, I can feel why he would say that. Do you have any experience with this exercise as a developer of leg drive / starting power for the deadlift?

Seems like a good exercise, but I find squatting with a narrower stance to be uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I also think dead-stop rack squats need to be looked at as a driver of deadlift starting power.

starting strength coach development program
    Same principle as the dead stop rack squat....those are usually done with a narrowed/deadlift stance.

Matt Reynolds has to squat with a very narrow stance due to hip issues. He has a big deadlift and I imagine this probably helps some.