starting strength gym

Thread: programming for strength and basketball

Default programming for strength and basketball

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok I have a small problem maybe you can help me with. I like training for strength but I also like playing basketball and I realize that these two activities don't really benefit each other in that they are at different metabolic extremes. What happens is I let myself do the linear progression without any basketball playing until i run it out and am in intermediate territory. By that time I start playing basketball regularly throughout the week but my squat(and pretty much every lift goes down some). I know that you mention in PPST3 that the lifts may be effect negatively especially squatting if doing sports with a lot of running so my question is how should I program once I am in intermediate territory to try and keep strength gains going or maybe just a "maintenance" program would be better? I was thinking a heavy/medium setup variation might work maybe something like
    sunday

heavy day
    squats 3x5
    bench 3x5
    chins

monday-thursday
    basketball !
    friday
    light day
    deadlifts 1x5
    light squats 90% of sunday x3x5
    pullups

does that seem reasonable and if not how would you organize the lifting? When my lifts regress from the playing it is frustrating knowing that i put all the work in to get strong but I guess that is just the way it is. Anyways just thought I would see if you had any type of suggestion. Thanks!

Just plan 1 heavy lower body day each week and do it AFTER a day of rest (or two). BBALL won't affect your upper body lifts as much provided you keep your weight up.

so maybe something like

monday-thursday
    play ball

friday
    light squats and press

saturday
    off

sunday
    heavy deadlift
    heavy squat
    bench

I forgot to ask is it ok to do your heavy deadlift set before squats?

Sure, but you won't squat very much.