starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if..

Default What if..

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    You've tried and didn't like Starting Strength or Texas Method (or failed them) because they are not in line with your goals. You prefer a more powerbuilding style method of training. You want to squat more than once a week. You like eating. You have intermediate standard Press and Deadlift but under intermediate standard Squat and Bench. You want to get your lifts up and can handle more than the 5/3/1 monthly progression.

What then do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Strength_Power_Progress View Post
    You've tried and didn't like Starting Strength or Texas Method (or failed them) because they are not in line with your goals. You prefer a more powerbuilding style method of training. You want to squat more than once a week. You like eating. You have intermediate standard Press and Deadlift but under intermediate standard Squat and Bench. You want to get your lifts up and can handle more than the 5/3/1 monthly progression.

What then do you do?
    Find a new message board?

Make up your own programming and once complete, write an informative text about it.

PPST3 will teach you how to program for yourself. It also has tons of programs inside, including HLM and the Texas Method 4-Day Split, both of which can easily be made into "power building" routines. I recommend picking a copy up.

You've tried and didn't like Starting Strength or Texas Method (or failed them) because they are not in line with your goals.

You want to squat more than once a week. You like eating. You have intermediate standard Press and Deadlift but under intermediate standard Squat and Bench.

Sounds like the novice progression fits your goals perfectly. By making adjustments to your starting weights and increases between each training session (more for squat and bench, less for press and dead), it should work just fine.

More info needed, I guess.

What, in your opinion, constitutes a powerbuilding style of programming?

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    Sounds like the novice progression fits your goals perfectly. By making adjustments to your starting weights and increases between each training session (more for squat and bench, less for press and dead), it should work just fine.

More info needed, I guess.
    I've tried many, many times. It seems I can only make weekly progress at this juncture, no matter how much extra rest or food I get. I hate missing reps and I feel that doing so is "underworking". I seem to respond better to higher volume.

I hate the 1x5 Deadlift, it isn't enough exposure for me. What I will say is that the 5/3/1 method with FSL and Joker sets is perfect for the Deadlift in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    What, in your opinion, constitutes a powerbuilding style of programming?
    3-4 days, intensity and volume, or a balance between strength training and hypertrophy.

I like getting strong, but I'd also like my physique to reflect that. I'm 6'1 and a tad under 200lbs at the moment (and gaining weight). My dabbles with Starting Strength in the past year have failed to give me the physique results I seek, or the strength results. I get gradually stronger for a while, then stall.

Of course, Starting Strength is a program for beginners, for some people it may work past that stage, but for me it doesn't. I have aspirations to be a S&C coach in some capacity, and whilst I believe in Rip's mentality that "nobody is a special snowflake in the beginning", you have to adapt to individual past a certain stage. That being said, I will always recommend Starting Strength or the WFNR to any beginner, especially if I make it as a coach, because I believe them to be the most efficient method to develop the untrained, especially when it comes to young athletes.

This is my current stage:

1RM's

Squat: 272
    Bench: 184
    Deadlift: 368
    Press: 144

5/3/1 is far too slow progress for me, with the exception of Deadlifting which is almost ideal, given that I'm near the halfway point between intermediate and advanced standards.

Somebody mentioned something along the likes of "963" and how there's a 5lb weekly progression at varying levels of volume. I've also looked at Madcows 5x5, but again, I'm concerned about the lack of volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Have you tried it, has anybody else, what were the results like?

I appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by Gerhard; 06-24-2014 at 08:31 AM.

inb4 10 page debate about higher reps vs lower reps for hypertrophy.

I would suggest GSLP. Or Jordan's version if you want to progress once a week http://barbellmedicine.com/2012/06/0...strength-bias/
    Last edited by krazyduck; 06-24-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post

Your wit, sir, is legendary! I shall give you two Burgers of Ham!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast