starting strength gym

Thread: Conditioning with immovable resistance

Default Conditioning with immovable resistance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, I was thinking about what kind of conditioning I might be able to do around the house. I know some people do burpees and similar things, but I'd like to incorporate something with resistance and I don't have access to a sled or prowler.

Anyway, I was extrapolating from that idea of adding significant resistance, instead of going as fast as you can, and be working hard in a different way over 20 second time intervals. Would this work if the resistance is practically immovable? For example, what if I went out to the garage with my car in park and just pushed on it as hard as I could for 20 seconds and then stood and rested or walked around a bit for the rest periods?

I'm not up on how isometric type "interval" work "works", but I think you could do some barbell complexes or similar type conditioning work as long as it's intelligently programmed. Zourdos et al. is actually studying muscle retention and strength changes in 2 conditioning cohorts right now. 1 cohort is doing traditional HIIT on a Wingate bike, as I recall, and the other cohort is lifting weights quickly- the competition lifts (SQ/BP/DL) or some permutation of those. Again, this is all pre-published data so I do not know the accuracy of my report just yet. At any rate, preliminary data shows potentially good things for barbell type circuits when work is equivalent between them and the HIIT group.

wont that encourage crossfit?

If that is the case, do you think deadlifts be the best option there since they work a lot of muscle groups and mostly eliminate the eccentric component or would the load be light enough for squats to be a good option too?

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    wont that encourage crossfit?
    It probably will given the average density of their HQ staff, however you'll notice that this data suggests using programmed lifts and volume with intelligently planned work to rest ratios may work well in certain applications. This is different than CrossFit, don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by mgage View Post
    If that is the case, do you think deadlifts be the best option there since they work a lot of muscle groups and mostly eliminate the eccentric component or would the load be light enough for squats to be a good option too?
    I think that there are many lifts that can work well and you're not trying to eliminate the eccentric since the application of more volume but only marginally more fatigue is one of the ways they "work"

How would you like to set the reps if you do conditioning with 100m sprint or tempo run?

Thesedays i do 11.5~12.9s on/2min off for 10~12reps.It's so hard work but i am not sure that amount is right.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by risepmj View Post
    How would you like to set the reps if you do conditioning with 100m sprint or tempo run?

Thesedays i do 11.5~12.9s on/2min off for 10~12reps.It's so hard work but i am not sure that amount is right.
    Depends on the load, of course. 30% of 1RM or so x 15-20 reps would be about right in 20s so sounds like you're right on point more or less.