starting strength gym

Thread: Texas method & widowmaker squats

Default Texas method & widowmaker squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Andy, I'm doing a pretty standard 3 day Texas Method, log here, but I'd like to throw in some widowmaker 20 rep squats. I'm apparently a masochist because I find them enjoyable. I'm just not sure how to work them into the program; Volume day seems like the obvious choice, but a single set of 20 squats at a lower weight than my 5x5 weight isn't nearly the same total volume. On the other hand, doing 5x5 squats and then 1x5 deads and THEN a widowmaker seems murderous.

Any suggestions on how to work them in and what weight to use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My advice is not to combine the TM and the 20-rep squat routine.

Sorry, reading back I realize I didn't phrase it well. I really meant adding them in like once a month or every two months. TM's been working really well for me and I didn't want to really change anything, just kind of add them in for fun occasionally. Or would you not recommend doing them at all while running TM?

What are your training goals?

Currently just keep upping my total while cutting a bunch of fat (upping my wilks basically). Once I get to a reasonable weight class I'd really like to do a couple of meets, tbh.

20 rep squats don't really have a place in there then. You can do them if you want but high rep squats on top of already limited recovery (calorie slashing) is probably not a good idea.

starting strength coach development program
    Good point, thanks for the feedback. Also, it really is a freaking dance trying to lose weight while keeping numbers going up on TM, lol.