starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 strikes and you reset 10%

Default 3 strikes and you reset 10%

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been trying to find where in SS or PP it instructs to reset after 3 failed attempts in the novice program.
    Can anyone cite the page number or Kindle location?

I noticed some sections of the books show examples of a reset after one fail.

I just want to make sure I'm doing the program, or if I alter it, how I'm not doing the program.

I read stronglifts 5x5 at the same time as Starting Strength, and wondering if I'm mixing them up.

Thanks

Are you really asking the forum to look things up in the book for you instead of doing it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by tobo View Post
    Are you really asking the forum to look things up in the book for you instead of doing it yourself?
    How rude. . . a guy asks for a little help and this is the reaction he gets?

While I got you - -how many cups of flour do I need for Amish Bread? Self Rising or General Purpose? I would have called my mom but this god damn cookbook is in the way.

It all depends. Are you using Red Star or Fleischman's?

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    It all depends. Are you using Red Star or Fleischman's?
    Which is better? I could read the reviews but working the computer is such a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    How rude. . . a guy asks for a little help and this is the reaction he gets?

While I got you - -how many cups of flour do I need for Amish Bread? Self Rising or General Purpose? I would have called my mom but this god damn cookbook is in the way.

Hey John - I guess it was late last night when you asked and you were tired out.

I'll indulge you because I'm impressed by your testimonial (very impressed, in fact) and besides, I'm trying to learn this stuff well so I can spread it around anyway.

Page 92 of PPST has the answer you're looking for - it's the 'Legitimately Stuck' scenario in the Advanced Novice section.

Probably what you remember is the sentence "Finally he will begin to miss the last reps in the work sets for two to three workouts in a row." at the end of the second paragraph.

The example that follows has misses in 2 workouts (for the squat and a reset from 265 to 245, so less than 10%).

10% is explicitly mentioned in the examples of re-entering training following missed workouts (the scenario just before Legitimately Stuck) so maybe that's why you thought of resets being set at 10% (they aren't).

I have a memory that this is in Starting Strength, but right now I can't find it myself!

I searched for quite a while yesterday in both books, and have concluded that it is not a part of the program as written in either book.

This is one thing I think SS and PP could really improve on. I would like to see all programming explicitly presented algorithmically, then fleshed out with explanations afterwards.

I understand that there is leeway for experienced coaches, and nuanced explanation with examples is necessary, but an explicit algorithm would be a good starting point. It condenses entire programs to just a few lines of instructions that can be quickly and easily referenced.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by anticausal View Post
    This is one thing I think SS and PP could really improve on. I would like to see all programming explicitly presented algorithmically, then fleshed out with explanations afterwards.

I understand that there is leeway for experienced coaches, and nuanced explanation with examples is necessary, but an explicit algorithm would be a good starting point. It condenses entire programs to just a few lines of instructions that can be quickly and easily referenced.
    I would like to see you come up with a simple, explicit algorithm that would be broad enough to cover all trainees and clear enough not to launch a thousand misunderstandings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast