starting strength gym

Thread: Reasonable weight and macro targets for 50s

Default Reasonable weight and macro targets for 50s

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First, thank you for this forum. You provide an excellent service.

Here's my info...

· 54 yo male, 5'7" BW 192, BF 20 - 23 % (Based on comparison pics on the web)

· 2 months into SS LP, current worksets are squat 155, press 90, BP 80 (month behind others), DL 235. Work sessions are twice a week (squat,BP,DL and squat,press,DL - chins as of this week).

· Unsure of calories, guessing 150g protein / day. I eat 3-4 eggs/bacon/protein shake with whole milk for b'fast, tuna, fruit, almonds for lunch, salad, meat and potato type dinner.

. 3 years ago topped out at 202 with a tight 38" waist, made it down to 179 with loose 36" waist by following Sisson's primal diet (plants, animals, no sugar, flour, etc) and body weight exercises, mostly chins, pushups and ab exercises. I was 184 2 months ago when I started SS, I'm now 192.

I think I may have gone overboard with the eating. I'm doing GOMAWeek plus I haven't been as strict with what I eat. I still eat lots of protein (relatively) but now also more carbs.

My question is, what are reasonable weight and macro targets to gain strength at my age. If I have to gain weight I will but I'd rather not have to increase pant size if it's not needed. In fact, I'd still like to someday get back to a 34. I realize this is not a weight losing program, I'm just not sure what I should be aiming for due to age and my current composition.

Hi and welcome to the boards!

I think that if you can keep your body weight between 190 and 200 as you finish out LP that'd be good. I'd like to keep your waist in check until the end of LP (3-4 months) and then do some interventions to bring it down to 34 or less, slowly (another few months...probably in early 2015 by the end) using some conditioning and dietary modification (more fiber rich foods, monitoring calories, etc.).

Right now, I'd have you bump protein to 200g per day and get 35g fiber per day as well from whole foods. That should be a pretty good start, methinks. BCAAs between meals and creatine 1x/day would be excellent as well!

Hi Jordan, thank you for the welcome and reply. I will follow your recommendations.