starting strength gym

Thread: Dropping a bar with 430lbs on to pins

Default Dropping a bar with 430lbs on to pins

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Dropping a bar with 430lbs on to pins will bend the bar, right? Just seen some twit doing it at my gym.

No wonder all the bars are bent.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Dropping a bar with 430lbs on to pins will bend the bar, right? Just seen some twit doing it at my gym.

No wonder all the bars are bent.
    From what height? Literally dropping it? You should punch that guy in the neck.

Sometimes it's an accident, you guys. Original post is just silliness without more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    Sometimes it's an accident, you guys. Original post is just silliness without more information.
    This.

Sorry - the guy was doing half deadlifts/upright rows from mid-thigh to when he stands erect. He seemed to drop the bar on every set, particularly in the later reps. It probably fell from a height of 6-8".

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but on some of my deadlifts I can actually feel the bars try to twist out of my hands due to their curve.

I'd talk to him or go talk to management and tell them that what this guy is doing is bending the bars, can't do shit with a bent bar

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Sorry - the guy was doing half deadlifts/upright rows from mid-thigh to when he stands erect. He seemed to drop the bar on every set, particularly in the later reps. It probably fell from a height of 6-8".

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive, but on some of my deadlifts I can actually feel the bars try to twist out of my hands due to their curve.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...477#post962477

Ive seen people do exactly the same in my gym. Doing shrugs and rows off the rack safeties then just loosing the bar on the last rep. Bars in my gym are several mm out of true.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been meaning to bitch about this down in E&P, but haven't had the time.

Dickhead at my gym constantly drops deadlifts from waist height. He's a big guy, and pulls in the region of 180 kilos, but drops it from the top. Every fucking rep. With hard plates. The first time it happened, i almost dropped my fucking squat weight off my back. Gave me a nasty goddamned shock.

The gym i work out in right now is in the heart of the city's financial district, and attracts a lot of wealthy people- apparently, this gives them carte blanchè to do whatever they want.

I hope the bastard drops it on his fucking toe one day. It will warm my heart.