starting strength gym

Thread: Using 3x3 method for bench and press

Question Using 3x3 method for bench and press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Recently failed to make all five reps for 3x5 novice programming for bench and press. Reset few times, failed at same weight.
    Assumed legitimately stuck, decided to use advanced novice programming 3x3 method outlined in PPFST. Will continue to use this as long as weight can be added to the bar. Once this method has been exhausted, how would the 3x3 method's numbers translate to those required for the 5x5 TM?
    PPFST provides transition examples for 3x5 novice programming numbers to TM, but not 3x3 method to 5x5 TM.

Thank you very much,

Jacob

A search for this question yielded few helpful results. The closest was this http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=50419 but what if you've been doing the 3x3 for some time? what if the difference in weight between where the 3x5 was left and the 3x3 ended is significant, would you still revert back to the 3x5 numbers for the transition to the TM?

Kyle Schuant Guest

TM suggests 80-90% of the 5,5,5 numbers, so I'd just use 80% of the 3,3,3 numbers, in the same aggressive spirit of the TM. If you wanted to channel Wendler a bit and start easier than you can manage, 75%.

Thank you very much for the reply, Kyle.

If I wanted to return to the 5,5,5 numbers from 3,3,3, is there a simple calculation or formula for that? I mean, presuming I can't just use the numbers (weight) from 3,3,3 and resume a 5,5,5 rep range with the same weight.

Kyle Schuant Guest

Not really, people will vary a lot, that's why you can progress with 3s when 5s become too much. So you just drop back 10-25% and build up. Unless you're in a hurry to get on a football team or something, err on the easier side.

That's perfect! Thank you very much for the info, Kyle!

Jacob

3s are wonderful but in my opinion 3x3 is not enough volume on the upper body lifts although it works well for squats and deadlifts.

Consider using 5x3 or 6x3. YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, I will definitely consider this.

Jacob