starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confidence and Squat Problems

Default Confidence and Squat Problems

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Well where do i start, I'm sorry if this has been created before but i feel i need to post this and im sorry for the length.

I've been running SS for around three month now and i have a log going on here and i have the link if needed,but thats besides the point. As a kid i was always overweight and lacked confidence, so i decided to lose the weight(125 pounds approx.) Which leads me into what i think i need help with. Whenever i walk up to the bar on a squat i dont feel as confident as i would a deadlift or a bench press. I'm always doubting myself on weather I'll get the form correct or will the weight go up etc etc. I've looked for coached in my area and well there isn't any. I come from a place where strength training isn't very common. So my question to you is what would be some techniques to help me get outside of my own head?

Dude, we are not sports psychologists.

Squat a weight you are confident with, add 5lbs the following time. Have spotters or safeties in place. Film your sets and analyze them later.

If you want to get better at squatting, you need to squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I've looked for coached in my area and well there isn't any.
    It says you're in Illinois (I think... it's spelled incorrectly). I'm one state over and there are a couple coaches in the Chicago area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Whenever i walk up to the bar on a squat i dont feel as confident as i would a deadlift or a bench press.
    The barbell has no control over what happens once you get underneath it. You have to get out of the back seat and take the damn wheel. This probably applies to more of your life than squats.
    Last edited by Adam Skillin; 09-21-2014 at 06:46 AM.

You are correct that being around strong people makes it psychologically easier. If that's not possible, just think of it as a challenge. It will be harder for you, but more rewarding.

Also, I checked your history and you've only posted one form check in the technique forum, but it was for a single at a bad angle. But from that one rep alone, it's already clear that the bar is too high on your back. Film as much as you can, analyze yourself, and when you're stumped post a check and let the coaches help you. Do you have anxiety about filming yourself in the gym? Because you need to get over that....

Also, you need to read the squat chapter in SS like 4 or 5 times (wait a week or two between rereads though). Every time I've read that thing, I've noticed things I didn't on my previous read. Underline, make notes in the margins, and absorb that shit.

Techniques:
    Have someone slap you in the face.
    Think of something that pisses you off.
    Positive visualization.
    Remember it's only 5 more pounds. Five little pounds.

But yeah heavy squats should be scary. Do it anyway, make it happen. Confidence comes from competence.

Greatly appreciate the reply. I know you guys arnt sports phys, but i just thought you may know a bit of information. I also realize i need to quit being a pussy and just lift the weight!

OP As a newbie (only seriously lifting for about two years now) I started out with some lack of confidence under the bar. The key for me was "getting" that first true miss where I had to set it on the safeties. Once I knew how it felt to truly miss a rep, I haven't looked back since. The confidence is there to push hard knowing I can use the safeties.

Aside from that look up Coach Horn's post on being afraid under the bar. Absolutely the best motivational paragraph I've come across!

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMike View Post
    Aside from that look up Coach Horn's post on being afraid under the bar. Absolutely the best motivational paragraph I've come across!
    I happen to have saved that post so here it is:

"You embrace the fear. You love it when it feels heavy. You hate variety. You think people who make up bullshit excuses to justify their desire to do something easier are just scared, and you are not one of them. You are a lifter, and you lift heavy things. When you walk into the gym, you look around at all the bros doing arm work and five different chest exercises, and you smile because you know they don't know what you know. Or, maybe they do, but they don't have the balls to stay the course, put more weight on the bar and squat something they're afraid they can't squat. But you do that. You do that three days a week. You face your fear over and over and over. And sometimes you fail. Sometimes you can't get another rep. But you show up for your next session, and you try again. You stick to your plan. You learn how to fail. You learn how to try again. You learn that it won't kill you. And because you learned that, when life kicks you in the nuts, when your dog dies or your girlfriend dumps you or boss fires you, you can handle it. You can face it and feel it and know that you will get past it. And that, my friend, is more important that how much weight is on the bar. It's supposed to feel heavy. You're supposed to be scared. If you're not, you're not living."

starting strength coach development program
    Keep at it Ozzie. I also had issues in getting confidence with the squat but when I finally sorted it out, the benefits are well worth it. As a fellow newbie about the only pointer I can give is to be aware that when you are doing the squat, pretty much your entire body is involved or engaged in the movement. Your upper back and arms should be tight and in to provide a solid platform for the bar to rest on, your core should also be engaged and tight to protect your back, your lower body (legs, glutes, hips etc) are there to perform the major part of the movement and your mind will be racing as you manage the weight, the complaints from the various parts of your body that are not happy, and your form. I liken it to the launching of a rocket in terms of intensity (no need to count down though) with each rep only you go down first and then up. It is this intensity that makes it one of the kings of exercises (if not the king). Good luck, post you form and keep at it! Believe me, it is well worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast