starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quest for Strength and Beard

Smile A Quest for Strength and Beard

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I shall attempt to become stronger and grow a super manly man beard. This is my log.

ps. I am from eastern Europe, so I will use the proper measurement units and date formats :P
    pss. I will probably deadlift 250kg before I get any beard. My facial hair growth is pathetic.

I am a male of 22 years, 185cm and ~80kg. My short term goal is to squat 3 plates.

My primary focus currently are my academic studies (computer science and electro-engineering)
    This will be my secondary focus - my hobby. I am ashamed to admit, but, until recently, I was a clueless gym-joe-faggot, and I wasted a few years of my gym experience. Prior to that, for a few brief years in high school (at 13-16 years old), I trained basketball, and before that soccer.

1RM @ 7.10.2014
    Deadlift @ 140kg
    Squat @ 110kg
    Press @ 70kg
    Bench @ 90kg

I will start off with the classic routine:
    A: squat/press/deadlift
    B: squat/bench/deadlift
    (5x5)

Still gotta learn the power clean - and I'd like to nail down the technique on all other lifts as well - so I shall start my working sets really low. On top of everything, I'm on accutane, which hinders strength, so I have to work around that for a few months.

Work sets for next training session:

squat @ 50kg
    deadlift @ 60kg
    press @ 30kg
    bench @ 40kg

I wonder if this means that if I had started 45 years ago I would have had such good numbers? Welcome. I wish you the best on all three endeavors: strength, beard, and education.

workout : 10.10.2014.
    squat @ 50kg 5x5
    deadlift @ 60kg 5x5
    press @ 35kg 5x5

beard: 10.10.2014.
    no beard
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 10-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Uh, thread needs the before pic of the "beard". Duh!

Just imagine a face that is baby smooth - and then cover it in acne scars... aaaaaaand don't imagine any beard - that's how much I have
    I edited the log-post
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 10-10-2014 at 11:42 AM.

I'm just wondering. I know that the Viking terrorized people throughout Europe but I was wondering how a Viking Warrior got stuck in Belgrade. I wonder if a Potsherd and whale oil scraped over your face would eliminate the acne scars, fertilize your beard follicles, and produce more strength?

Calling myself a viking is a fool-proof way for gaining facial hair. I do not have any Nordic heritage.

As for the scars - they are not that bad. I still gotta deal with active acne on my neck/chest, which is why I am taking accutane (the most powerful drug for acne). Once my cycle is over - I should be pretty clear. Then I can deal with scars, but I don't mind them because, as I've said, there are just a few tiny holes that are only noticeable in crappy lightning.
    + seeing my scars in the mirror when I squat gives me +20kg to my squat (yes - the rack is turned to a mirror in my gym, yuck!)
    ++ i can always tell people I was burned by acid as I was trying to save a family of otters from a chemical spill in the lake.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 10-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Calling myself a viking is a fool-proof way for gaining facial hair. I do not have any Nordic heritage.

As for the scars - they are not that bad. I still gotta deal with active acne on my neck/chest, which is why I am taking accutane (the most powerful drug for acne). Once my cycle is over - I should be pretty clear. Then I can deal with scars, but I don't mind them because, as I've said, there are just a few tiny holes that are only noticeable in crappy lightning.
    + seeing my scars in the mirror when I squat gives me +20kg to my squat (yes - the rack is turned to a mirror in my gym, yuck!)
    ++ i can always tell people I was burned by acid as I was trying to save a family of otters from a chemical spill in the lake.
    Dont be so sure. The vikings traded, raided, conquered and were mercenaries on many many places. They sailed to Vinland (america) and were bodyguards to the emperors of eastern roman empire (capital in modern day turkey).

Before there were vikings there were saxons, and before that there was goths (the eastern goths from Gotland is why many russians, Ukrainians, poles, Yugoslavians etc look nordic. as they took huge land areas east of germany). The western goths (visigoths or västgötar took germany, and many germans are descended from them)

The vikings who took over france and britains were called normans (northmen) and together with the saxons who had conquered britain a few hundred years earlier became the britons. Who then took colonised much of the world. Including america.

"Whitish people in france, canada, sweden, belgrade, russia, germany, usa can be impossible to see which is which in part of these migrations

Pretty sure most Yugoslavians (Serbs, Croats, Bosnians people from Slovenia, Monte Negro and Republic of Macedonia) look like Slavic people - which they are (like Russians, Ukrainians, etc). Slavic people have pale skin and are also, usually, large men.
    I admit I don't know much about my heritage, it was never tracked, but I know this bit - my ancestors escaped from Serbia during the Ottoman conquest and lived in Hungary (modern day Croatia) - and served as mercenary warrior to the monarch of Hungary. After the vengeful warlike generations, ensued generations that settled and lived on large farms. One such large farm is still in our possession over there. But Ottoman empire was a few centuries after the golden age of vikings, and I'm derailing the log

Logically thinking though - I don't think there was mixing with the vikings - there was never much sea trade around Balkans, and despots here were too poor to hire mercenaries of such high rank.

starting strength coach development program
    workout : 12.10.2014.
    squat @ 55kg 5x5
    bench @ 40kg 5x5
    deadlift @ 70kg 4x5
    deadlift @ 80kg 1x1
    deadlift @ 100kg 1x1
    deadlift @ 120kg 1x1
    deadlift @ 140kg 1x1
    chins @ 4xfailure

beard: 12.10.2014.
    no beard

notes:
    I felt strong and deviated a bit towards the end of the session. I don't think I should do that.

It takes me 5-10 minutes to warm up my elbows and arms for low-bar squat position. I usually do it by trying to set up for it on an empty bar a few times. The first few times I don't even unrack the bar, because the setup is so off - but then once my arms warm up, I can setup without a problem. Any tips on this? Is there a good way to warm up for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast