starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting

Default Powerlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Apparently powerlifting isn't real big in my state yet. There are not state records in my age bracket. Hmm...

How old are you? You'll find the Master's pretty lonely in any given weight class, especially after 50-55.

I'm 59. It looks like I just need to enter a competition to be the state record holder. There are no state records above the 50-55 bracket, at least none that I can find.

You'll probably find that's true in most states and federations for us old folks. I placed 1st in the IPL Worlds last year in my age group (60-64) and weight class (275). When I began competing in April of last year, there was no number in that category. I was surprised that some numbers but no name were filled in for the Worlds when I checked again just before the meet in November. So I asked the head of the federation (USPA/IPL) what those numbers meant without the name. He said that the numbers represented what the federation would consider a world record. But no one had gotten them yet.

So I'm just content to be a "world class lifter" who won the 2013 Worlds. That and my other two 1st place medals from last year look nice on my mantlepiece. Some badly timed illnesses have kept me from competing this year.

I'm going to have to give this a shot. I know a lot of guys my age who can out bench press me but are afraid to do squats and deadlifts.

Yeah, and that's how you can smoke them.

By all means, get out there on the platform. But learn the commands and practice as though you were waiting for them from the judges.

If no one else shows up in your age and weight class it really wont mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    It means he had the balls to show up and compete when others wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Nothing wrong with raising the bar and setting a standard for the next guy to beat. Especially if the next guy thinks like you do.

starting strength coach development program
    It means a great deal. Here I am at 67 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TTo8tiL1k

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast