starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check - 260 lbs

Default Deadlift Check - 260 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is my first time posting a deadlift form check. I'm a little disappointed that my back wasn't as flat as I thought it was. The bar also got way out in front on rep 5. My squat is catching up to my deadlift so I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong.

Your back is rounded, though not horribly so. Good call on seeking advice.

In this humble man's opinion (feel free to correct me, guys), your hips' starting point might be a few inches high - however, although lowering them will help, the most useful cue for you will be to lift your chest (draw from the "Superman Cue" in the book), so that its midpoint is facing a little more forward rather than down, which it appears to be in your videos. It'll almost feel like your chest is rotating a bit between your shoulders. It's also important to note that you need to fight hard to constrict your back into a flat position - you'll have to work until you feel a complete tension from your upper back to your lumbar, and it can be a bitch at first.

Farewell makes a good point about your need to really squeeze your chest up harder. It also looks like your shoulders are father forward from the bar than we normally see.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    It also looks like your shoulders are father forward from the bar than we normally see.
    Yep. I had the exact issue earlier this year. He's setting up just a little too close to the bar which means the shoulders are too forward and hips a little too high, together these make it even harder than it ought to be to get and maintain back extension. Also explains the bar drifting forward on later reps.

As far as the shoulders forward, my shins are an inch, maybe an inch and a half back from the bar. Not sure what else to do since the chest is supposed to be raise without lowering the hips. I'll work on my back for sure. Not sure what to do as far as my shoulders being too far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    As far as the shoulders forward, my shins are an inch, maybe an inch and a half back from the bar. Not sure what else to do since the chest is supposed to be raise without lowering the hips. I'll work on my back for sure. Not sure what to do as far as my shoulders being too far forward.
    The answer is obvious. Don't be too far forward. You are starting too close to the bar. Start less close to the bar. Try 2 inches. Or 2.5. You're quite possibly measuring it incorrectly too.

You are correct that the chest raises without lowering hips. But when you bend the knees to bring shins to the bar, this will indirectly drop the hips (vs deliberately bending them and turning it into more of a squat)

I'd be very surprised if 2.5" distance resulted in the bar being over mid foot, but I agree that he needs to reevaluate his setup.

starting strength coach development program
    I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Keep in mind I suspect he is measuring incorrectly. 2.5" measured incorrectly will place him around 1.5" measured correctly.

When I was making the mistake of setting up too close, I was also about 1-1.5" away.

Now that I've fixed that mistake? I set up further from the bar ... 1-1.5" away. (No typo)

The difference? Measuring it correctly.