starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check #1 Post Lower Back Strain

Cookie Guest

Default Form Check #1 Post Lower Back Strain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings from Sydney.

183cm (6ft), 36 years old, 76kg to 78kg after one week (4 sessions).
    Squat: 50kg to 75kg
    Press: 25kg to 42.5kg
    Deadlift: 100kg to 130kg

Started the novice linear progression on 25th November and this is my 4th session on the 2nd of December. The Squat and Press felt great but on my 130kg 1x5 Deadlift set I strained my lower back on the 3rd/4th reps so stopped – searching the back injury forums I figure it is an S.I. Joint issue, and my physio confirmed a very jammed L5/S1 joint and spasm in surrounding muscles.

My reasoning is I made too great a jump in my Deadlift progression 100kg/ 110kg/120kg/130kg over the these first four sessions. But, I'm posting these videos to nut out any technical issues that may have contributed to the strain. I appreciate any feedback. (All clips are of the final sets)

https://vimeo.com/113776418

*Apologies these clips don't adhere to the video guidelines.

Squats are fine, for the most part. Just keep your abs and glutes tight as it gets heavier. You look a little loose at the bottom. The bar comes slightly forward, so focus on the Master Cue and keep it over the middle of the foot. You could be collapsing your chest at the bottom, but it's hard to tell with the video angle.

There's enough hip movement that makes me think you're trying to do the Press 2.0. Your timing is off though. It's hips first, then press. Find BareSteel's recent thread in the Coaches Q&A. Paul Horn explains it very well.

Don't jerk the deadlifts off the floor. It's a good way to cause the SI joint problem you describe. Set up like you do, squeeze up hard, pull all the slack out of the bar, and once you're uncomfortable, stand up with the bar. Review the video on low back position and make sure you can do as the video describes.

Cookie Guest

Thank you Nick for the advice. Read the Paul Horn post and reviewed the lower back position video – certainly needed those cues. Cheers.