starting strength gym

Thread: wierd shoulder pain

Default wierd shoulder pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Monday was a vol.press day. I did 175x5, felt like it was too heavy, then did 170 4sets x 5 reps for remainder of sets. Everything fine. Barely got last rep, last set. Did not feel any pop, tear, tweak, etc at the time of the workout. Felt fine the rest of the day.

Went to bed, woke up in a couple of hours, left shoulder slight cramping pain, started to get worse over time (5-10 minutes) . . .then felt better . . .then worse. Like 5 min cycles. It just thought a slept on it funny, causing a cramp, or something. After about 30minutes, went back to sleep and was fine.

Next day was fine (Tues). No mobility problems or anything like that. Tuesday was a rest day from from the weights. Tues night, same thing happened again. About an hour or two after I fall asleep, I have that pain in my shoulder, but this time worse. Kept me up a little longer, but then went back to sleep, this morning everything is fine.

I had this happen like five years ago (at night, after a heavy incline press day). But the pain never went away during the following day. The docs could never find anything wrong. They said may have been a bursa-sac infection thing or something.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your just having some muscle cramps in shoulder. Drink a tall glass of water right before you go to sleep tonight. Give us an update after your next bench or press workout and let us know if it hurts.

Next workout was a recovery bench press day...that went alright. Had to find a spotter on each set cause I didn't trust the shoulder. Everything fine....never had a cramp on anything but a calf or hammy ....I guess that's what it was....thanks for help

no prob. Let us know if it starts to interfere with training.

I've had similar symptoms after heavy press sets which I attribute to a slightly pinched nerve in the neck. It is aggravated during sleep if my head position isn't just right, and I experience pain and tightness in my shoulder and upper arm So, what has helped me is stretching and massage to maintain neck and shoulder flexibility, and carefully maintaining a neutral neck position while pressing and sleeping.