starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favoring one side in the squat and deadlift

Default Favoring one side in the squat and deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I sustained a adductor/RF injury on my right side about 3 months ago that was a result of poor technique (knees caving in, no glute activation, no hip drive). I've since then fixed my technique but my left quad has been getting sore and tight while my right hip (at the injury) aches for a couple days afterwards. Doesn't hurt during the set, but becomes sore when I stretch it for days afterwards.

I basically ignored the issue and increased by squat by about 60 pounds, at which time my hip was bothering me too much so I stopped squatting and went to a good PT. PT gave me a bunch of lateral core exercises, unilateral leg stuff. Didn't seem to help me very much as at low intensity there are no problems.

I post this in the technique forum because I certainly know that I am favoring one side in my squat and dead lift since the injury. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Knees out basically got rid of the left quad soreness, but right hip still gets sore.

Thanks so much,

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by julianwlsn View Post
    Hi all,

I sustained a adductor/RF injury on my right side about 3 months ago that was a result of poor technique (knees caving in, no glute activation, no hip drive). I've since then fixed my technique but my left quad has been getting sore and tight while my right hip (at the injury) aches for a couple days afterwards. Doesn't hurt during the set, but becomes sore when I stretch it for days afterwards.

I basically ignored the issue and increased by squat by about 60 pounds, at which time my hip was bothering me too much so I stopped squatting and went to a good PT. PT gave me a bunch of lateral core exercises, unilateral leg stuff. Didn't seem to help me very much as at low intensity there are no problems.

I post this in the technique forum because I certainly know that I am favoring one side in my squat and dead lift since the injury. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? Knees out basically got rid of the left quad soreness, but right hip still gets sore.

Thanks so much,

Julian
    Well, there's no video, but the logical course of action is to deload to a weight you can force yourself to lift symmetrically, and go from there. No matter how much it hurts your ego to lift such light weights.

I've dealt with it and Adam's suggestion is the one that assisted for me. I suspect that whatever form issue you started with might still be lurking if you haven't had a chance to really attack it. Post up a video of your next session with a very manageable weight and we'll go from there. This is a common enough problem, so don't fret - it's solvable even if it's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by julianwlsn View Post
    ...I am favoring one side in my squat and dead lift since the injury. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?
    You may continue to favor your uninjured side, subconsciously, for quite a while after you believe you've fixed the problem. Your eyes and your body (i.e., your proprioceptive sense) can straight-up lie to you. Just last Monday on the bench, I set my grip to favor my better shoulder, and the spotter had to point it out to me after the set. The other shoulder's been functionally healed for over six months, and it was a mild injury to begin with.

The only thing you can do in a case like this is ask other people to observe you, and take their word for it.
    Last edited by tmcnulty; 12-26-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Actually went today to squat and everything feels OK. No soreness in the hip and left quad feels OK. Really focused on knees out. Looking at the videos I don't see much lateral movement actually. It was my first time squatting in a while so my body was just getting used to the movement again.

This is a very easy weight for me. I know I half pause most of the reps. This was intended just to feel things out. I know the first few sets had the rack a little too high. The guy I was working with was a giant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVQ...ature=youtu.be

No asymmetry that I can detect, Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    No asymmetry that I can detect, Julian.
    OK thanks. I'll keep pushing the weight and videoing and see if something occurs.

Do you think a belt would be useful for something like this?

Belts are great for general tightness and stability.

By the way, make sure you get down there deep as you progress. I know you're feeling out the weight right now, but the 45* view showed questionable depth - maybe parallel...hard to say from camera's high position. I know you said you'll work on the stretch reflex.

Alright. Picked a heavier weight today and I feel like there is some asymmetry, whether it be muscular or not. Let me know what you think. Sorry for the angle, I'll get a better one today. Still no pain though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfmC...ature=youtu.be

starting strength coach development program
    I don't see an asymmetry. Show us a side and a 45* from the rear shot so we can see depth and a few other things. I just don't see anything that looks crooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast