starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for the lower half

Default Advice for the lower half

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy,

Listened to your podcast and was inspired to do something different for my squats and deadlifts this year. I've been doing a split TM progression since summer and have been steadily progressing on bench and press. My squats and deadlift do not seem to respond to the TM as well as my upper half. For example, my 5RM has improved 35lbs for my bench and 25lbs for my press but only 45lbs for squats and 30lbs for deadlift. While there is progress it is not distributed equally.

I already tried switching rep cycles on ID days, I also tried lowering my overall volume day compared to my ID days by playing with different types of 5x5. I also gained ~20lbs of BW since June.

Is there another type of progression you can recommend I can try while keeping TM for upper lifts?

My numbers are for ID
    Squat 305x5
    Bench 260x5
    Deadlift 395x5
    Press 175x5

I normally don't do this, but.......do you have PPST3? The whole book is about different types of progressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I normally don't do this, but.......do you have PPST3? The whole book is about different types of progressions.
    I don't. I bought Starting Strength many years ago but that's different.

I don't want to sound lazy or that training isn't important enough that I can't commit time to read the book its just I have lots of other priorities right now. I love lifting, haven't missed a work out in god knows how long but between school, work, and other important commitments I can't read a whole book just to figure out what work out to do for squats =/

Damn. We'll that sucks, I had a really good program I was gonna type out for you here. It had all the exercises, sets, reps, etc. But I guess you wouldn't have time to read it.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Bo View Post
    I love lifting, haven't missed a work out in god knows how long but between school, work, and other important commitments I can't read a whole book just to figure out what work out to do for squats =/
    Wow. Just wow.

Damn. We'll that sucks, I had a really good program I was gonna type out for you here. It had all the exercises, sets, reps, etc. But I guess you wouldn't have time to read it.
    Haha that's funny. I've looked at the older version of the book before and if it was just programs that'd be different but from what I saw it goes in to great detail on many topics which would mean a greater time investment. Sometimes people don't have time to read programming books, that's why they hire coaches. I wasn't trying to be a douche, you give plenty of free great advice here and on your website. Thought that you could recommended something but if that's consulting territory I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Bo View Post
    Haha that's funny. I've looked at the older version of the book before and if it was just programs that'd be different but from what I saw it goes in to great detail on many topics which would mean a greater time investment. Sometimes people don't have time to read programming books, that's why they hire coaches. I wasn't trying to be a douche, you give plenty of free great advice here and on your website. Thought that you could recommended something but if that's consulting territory I get it.
    But you do have time to read and post on the forums? Interesting

But you do have time to read and post on the forums? Interesting
    Obviously there is a difference between spending 5 minutes reading and commenting on a forum vs. an hour a day reading right?

I don't get the hate. If I had the time, I would purchase and read the book. Right now is a very busy period for me and I don't have the ability to delegate that much time to a hobby. It wouldn't be right if I just bought the book and flipped to the page where the programs are without reading the explanation behind the methods.

Don't get me wrong I understand I'm not a client and that you provide a free service over here. I've gotten plenty of quality advice from this forum alone that I'm very grateful for.

starting strength coach development program
    What are you doing between your sets? Strength programs have a lot of down time waiting for ATP recovery. If you take 8 minute breaks between sets, that's a good chunk of time you could bury your head in a book and learn how to get better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast