starting strength gym

Thread: Back-off method vs. 3x3 for advanced novice squat

Default Back-off method vs. 3x3 for advanced novice squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,

I searched the forum for an answer to my question - I apologize if I missed a thread in which you address this.

In Practical Programming, a comment is made that the back-off method (1 set of 5 reps followed by 2 sets of 5 reps at a reduced weight) typically works better for the squat than 3x3. I've done some experimentation and have found the following: when I do the back-off method, reps 4 and 5 of my first set (at the “target” weight) look atrocious. The 2 back-off sets (at the reduced weight) look acceptable. However, when I do 3x3, I can do all three sets at my "target" weight; and my form is passable on all reps.

In your experience, when a trainee gets to the Advanced Novice squat, is it better to pursue the back-off method? Or is 3x3 just as beneficial? I understand that progress is progress – but I’m curious to know your thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the two “paths.”

Thanks for your time,
    Kenny

For you then, stay with 3x3. Triples are used for this exact purpose - to keep later reps from falling apart.