starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goals for 2015

Default Goals for 2015

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Male, 30 years old, 189cm, 101kg / 6'2'', 230lbs

I'm currently on advanced novice, squatting 140kg (315lb) 3x5. I feel like I got more or less a few more weeks of LP in me, but can't be sure.

How realistic do you think a 180kg (405lb) 3x5 squat is for this years' goal?

Am I being a bit too optimistic thinking I can get to this weight by the end of the year? How long did it take you to get to 405, and what program were you doing at the time?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can't seem to get google to cooperate with me.

About 2 seconds after submitting this post I googled "how long to 405" and got this:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=48718
    and
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=30835

Still, fresh comments are welcome.

Took me about 7 months to go from 315x5 to 405x5. I was using the texas method at the time. Height is 5'9", and body weight began at 185 and went up to 205 by the time I got 4 plates. I was 19 years of age at the time.

Okay, let's try a rudimentary calculation:

There are about 48 weeks left in the year. Let's imagine that you started the Texas Method this week, with 275x5x5 as your first volume day.

If you increase by 5 lbs per week, that will put you at... drumroll please... 515x5x5 at the end of this year.

Now let's just cut the rate of progression in half to inject a hefty dose of realism into the situation. An average increase of 2.5 lbs per week would get you to 395x5x5 at the end of the year.

This is a long way of saying that yes, with diligent work I'd say that 405 for three sets of five is very possible by the end of this year.

Set goals, but don't get caught up in the specific. I dont think its really possible to predict out any further than 12 weeks with any degree of certainty. Let's say you set a goal to increase X lift by 90 pounds by years end. Youre not a failure if you work hard and intelligently all year and only get a 75lb increase.

I guess the major problem is that at the moment I can't even comprehend lifting 180kg, it just seems surreal. From your responses I get that it is quite possible. I'll just keep working at it and see where it takes me. I wonder when it's time to switch to Texas method? I think I should be able to get to 150 3x5 on advanced novice by the end of next week if everything goes as planned. It just feels really heavy. I think I'll do advanced novice until I fail two times in a row, and then switch to TM.

I think you're on the right track regarding moving on. Even the first failure, if it wasn't due to sleep or nutrition issues.
    However for 405# you'll need 184kgs
    If you turn up week in week out you will get results. I've been doing a modified version and I've gotten 187.5x5 after starting at ~165ish a few months ago. It doesn't take long.
    Do you have that as your only goal or is deadlift in there somewhere aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    I think you're on the right track regarding moving on. Even the first failure, if it wasn't due to sleep or nutrition issues.
    However for 405# you'll need 184kgs
    If you turn up week in week out you will get results. I've been doing a modified version and I've gotten 187.5x5 after starting at ~165ish a few months ago. It doesn't take long.
    Do you have that as your only goal or is deadlift in there somewhere aswell
    The first reset was mostly due to being sick, weak and on medication (bronchitis). Deadlifts are absolutely included in my overall training goals, I just happen to be concentrated more on my squat since it's giving me more trouble. Hopefully I should be deadlifting 170kg for 5 tomorrow when my light squat day is also scheduled. I'm adding 5kg each week on my deads, but that may come to a screeching halt sooner rather than later. Maybe I can make it to 180 before reprogramming.

I'd keep them programmed as is but make 2.5kg jumps instead. The squat will continue to help the deadlift also. Give TM a go when it slows down.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    I guess the major problem is that at the moment I can't even comprehend lifting 180kg, it just seems surreal.
    You don't have to comprehend lifting 180 kilos until you've lifted 177.5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast