starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger is the new youth?

Question Stronger is the new youth?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous log here.

Everyone has a reason for getting into the gym. Mine is to stay strong enough to compete on the field with athletes who are significantly younger than I am. Being stronger than the guys 15 years younger than I am lets me do that.

I've settled on the Texas Method for the next few months, at least until the season starts. I've also been goaded into participating in a pushup/chinup challenge - do 10k pushups and 4k chinups in a year. I got started a month late, so I'm playing catchup.

Starting Weights (Intensity Day):
    Squat 365lbs
    Press 165lbs
    Bench Press 235lbs
    Deadlift 365lbs

Goals for 2015:
    1. Complete the pushup/chinup challenge
    2. No consecutive missed workouts (with work, travel, illnesses, no missed workouts may be too ambitious a goal)
    3. Fix Deadlift form and finish the year with deadlift ahead of squat (this may require some in-person coaching)

Default Day 1 - February 5 Training Session

Day One. Whew, back on track. Weights are in pounds, notation is sets x reps.

Squat: 315x5x5
    Too much time off, I think. Right shoulder took some time to loosen up, and still couldn't squeeze my grip as narrow as I'd like. Something to work on.
    Press: 147.5x5x5
    Press 1.0 for warmups, 2.0 for work sets.
    SLDL: 225x3x5
    Right shoulder doesn't like racking power cleans (working on it), so these are my substitute pull early in the week. Will re-evaluate in 8 weeks and if shoulder is still uncooperative, may learn to power snatch.

Default February...

February wasn't a great month. Travel for work, schedule changes and generally busy/out of town a lot. I missed workouts, but never two in a row. Too many to make consistent progress though.

Back at it now. Progress starts again with the next post.

Default March 8 Training Session

Still working on my shoulder. Meeting with our rugby AT next week to try and sort it out.

Default March 9 HIIT

In addition to the pushup/pullup challenge, my regular workouts, and rugby this summer, I'm participating in the MSBike ride in July. So I'm throwing in two HIIT sessions as week on the bike (on a trainer, in the basement) to get some time in the saddle before I can get outside.

5 min warmup
    8x20s on 100s off intervals
    5 min cooldown

Will ramp up to 12 rounds over a couple of weeks.

Welcome back. Who ate you playing for?

Default March 10 Training Session

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse
    Welcome back. Who ate you playing for?
    Thanks. Local city club. We're fielding two sr. men's teams this year, and I've gained some size/weight, so I might have to move back out to prop - even though I'm a better fit at hook.

Squat: 275x2x5
    Light day is, well, light. As the weights go up I'm sure it'll get easier, but it was hard to only do two sets.
    Bench Press: 205x3x5
    Back Extensions: 3x10
    Not sure I like the "lock your feet under the bench" approach to these. Will need to investigate other options for doing them at home, or an alternate exercise. Or maybe I just need another piece of equipment?
    Last edited by CraigDuffield; 03-11-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typos

Default March 13 Training Session

Had to post-pone my workout last night and do it at 6 this morning. I'm out of practice with morning workouts, and I was both under-caffeinated and under-fed.

Since this week wasn't ideal, and today sucked, planning to repeat this week and then start increasing. I'm thinking that I just need to get back into the groove, and that the weights are OK.

Squat: 365x5
    These felt harder than they should have - maybe because of the inconsistent workouts in February? Happy that my belt fits the same as it did over a month ago (the last time I wore it), means I haven't gained/lost too badly.
    Press: 165x5
    These actually felt pretty good.
    Deadlift: 365x4
    Should have done the fifth. No (valid) excuses.

Default March 14 HIIT

5 min warmup
    8x20s on 100s off intervals
    5 min cooldown

Increase to 10 rounds next week.

Default March 15 Training Session

starting strength coach development program
    Still getting the hang of these. I think I like them, but I'm not sure. Probably need to increase the weight, these were tough, but not "hard".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast