starting strength gym

Thread: Back At It, Hows it look.

Default Back At It, Hows it look.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok so I'm back to lifting after a back injury (non lifting related) was hoping I could get some thoughts on my squat. I'm not a very big guy right around 160 so numbers aren't very impressive but hoping to change that in the upcoming years.

Here is a 3x3 at 330 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0e7WfGgmI

Here is a 5x5 at 310 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8k7GXUAVt4

Other videos in my youtube if your looking for different angles.

Any thoughts to help improve would be appreciated.

You are a manly man. Good work. I can't do what you can do, so I tip my hat to you. Good to see you back.

Thanks man, appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    You're squatting double your bodyweight, good shit! (I wish I had that ratio going for me...)

Overall they are good. Things I would consider:

-It looks like as you fatigue you shift your weight a bit in the hips to allow the right leg to "drive" more than the left. It's slight, and not a big deal really, but it's one of the small things I noticed.

-Your wrists are in extension. Fix that ASAP.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I do notice in the videos that I shift slightly more to the right side..... must be my dominant leg. something to be mindful of while squatting.

How do I go about working on the wrist extension? I've always assumed that it must be my tight shoulders that were causing it. any suggestions?

Only small tidbit I would add is that you slightly crane your neck back when driving up. I have this habit too, and I find that it can have a negative effect on hip drive. It's a small easy thing to fix with a relatively big payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Fixing wrist is much easier in person then over the innerwebs...

Try (during warmup sets) to only hold the bar with the heels of your palms against your back. No fingers wrapping the bar at all. At least that's how I approach it.
    Alright fooled around with that tonight and very intense pain behind the shoulder down through the tricep. Will continue to work on it. Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    Only small tidbit I would add is that you slightly crane your neck back when driving up. I have this habit too, and I find that it can have a negative effect on hip drive. It's a small easy thing to fix with a relatively big payoff.
    For sure its still there much better then it used to be but not entirely fixed. Funny how it can feel so right, then you review the footage after a set and think..... shit I didn't think I was doing that lol.