starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take a deep breath

Default Take a deep breath

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been lifting on and off for a long time- see start date. There have been various injuries and life situations that happened but I started everything with an empty 35 lb bar and am stronger than that now. I probably should explain the screenname- way back in the Dark Ages, several of my first jobs were at Health Spas teaching cardio classes. This meant jumping and leaping about to peppy music for 40 minutes and then dropping to the ground for 12 minutes of crunches and ab stuff.
    I bought lycra-spandex ensembles in various shades of Bright! at the Parklane store in the mall, including co-ordinated scrunchy socks. It is amazing I still live.

Female: age 47, soon to be 48 which prompted the log. I have specific goals to reach by or before my birthday in June. This log will include Women's Issues as pertain to my training, so the squeamish may want to stop reading it.

165-175 lbs depending on the time of month, moon cycle, whatever I have no idea.

5'7"

Yesterday, Monday worksets were:
    Squat 150x1x 2
    150x 3 x 3 I record worksets and have noticed my heels raising up a bit, wrote a reminder in my paper log to keep them down.

back-off set 140 x1 x5 I like to add in a back-off set for the confidence it gives in having a weight that was so hard- impossible even at one time- go up so smoothly with pretty squats.

Bench 105x 1 x 2
    105x 2 x 1 Just didn't have it today. Even though my weights are low I am basically an intermediate lifter as linear progression has not been possible for a long time. I generally have to deal with a weight for one or two weeks before adding on.
    100x 3 x 3 When I first decided to start lifting with barbells I thought that having a 100 lb bench press would be so bad-ass, now I can't wait to leave it behind.

Deadlift 185x 3 x 3

I am okay with this, it was basically a repeat of last Monday's session. The rest of the week I was apparently giving birth to many demon babies (perimenopause) and needed a couple of days to rehydrate and recover, so being able to lift what I had before the ordeal was cool.

Almost forgot to include the goals! Before my birthday (June) I want a 225lb dead lift (not a sloppy one) 165lb squat and 115lb bench.

Great you have started a log! I'll be following along.

Jonathan Sutton Guest

Hey, long time no see. Welcome back. (I've changed my username a few times, but I first started posting here around the same time & your name looks familiar, btw).
    Last edited by Jonathan Sutton; 04-01-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Welcome back, good to see you. Fire me an email so we can catch up.

Hey everyone, thank-you! I planned to train late this evening but decided to go early and catch the dead time at the gym. I usually like to take two days between at least one of the sessions but Easter is messing that up so on Mon, Weds, Fri this week.

Didn't warm up b/c someone was on the rower and I hate all other cardio machines.

Bench worksets

105 x 2 x 3 and the last rep was a doozy, would have been failed but I didn't have a spotter and just refused.

Had to wait for the squat rack so did 5 minutes on the rower. Came back and had to glare at the personal trainer who set up all her kettle bells and assorted stuff in the squat rack to do anything but squat until she packed up and left.
    Today the plan was to do triples all the way up so

135x 3 x 1 (I hope I am writing the sets the correct way, its easier for me to have it go sets x reps x weight but am trying to be uniform w the forum.) Anyway, that is one set of three reps there.

145 x 3 x 1

155 x 2 x 2 because I wussed out on the third rep of the first set, saw a gym friend and chatted for a while and decided to do another double. That is a PR for me yay!

The hard stuff was done, lat pulldowns 85 x 3 x 8

low rows 85 x 3 x 8 and I should have done some presses but forgot. A while back I messed up my shoulder during boxing lessons and pressing upward was an uncomfortable movement. To be honest, I hate standing presses too. It was a get-her-done session and I had to fight with my brain the whole time on the work sets to get through it. Also developed a bad habit of supporting the bat w my hands/ wrists when nervous about the weight so need to read all the posts about that. Got a good exercise-endorphin rush on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by randomnav View Post
    Great you have started a log! I'll be following along.
    Yes, you and the other women on the Facebook group inspired me to do so, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Sutton View Post
    Hey, long time no see. Welcome back. (I've changed my username a few times, but I first started posting here around the same time & your name looks familiar, btw).
    Hi, thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Welcome back, good to see you. Fire me an email so we can catch up.
    Hi Kyle! I've been following along with one of the women you are coaching/ programming (I don't recall who off the top of my head) and that has been very helpful. You already know I appreciate your observations and approach as one who trains the 'normal' population of a globe gym, although I guess you are independent now which is great.

4/3/2015 session Just as I had finished warm-up squat sets I got a call that a friend of mine with a brain tumor was fading and I needed to go there that night.

Squat worksets: 155x 2 x 1
    155x 3 x 1 wobbly
    145 x 3 x 1
    145 x 4 x 1
    Bench
    95 x 3 x 2
    95 x 4 x 1
    Last edited by xcardiobunny; 04-04-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: was interrupted

Welcome back! Great to see your log on here again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn Brookes View Post
    Welcome back! Great to see your log on here again.
    Thank-you! Are you on one of the Facebook closed groups? I'm on the SS one for women and another and post videos there. Your numbers have always been a love /hate thing for me- she is strong- look how slim she is- ay yi yi! I mean, aspirational while a bit discouraging at the same time (now you see how I am socially awkward!)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by xcardiobunny View Post
    Thank-you! Are you on one of the Facebook closed groups? I'm on the SS one for women and another and post videos there. Your numbers have always been a love /hate thing for me- she is strong- look how slim she is- ay yi yi! I mean, aspirational while a bit discouraging at the same time (now you see how I am socially awkward!)
    Well, that's nice to hear! I have a lot of self-doubt, actually. But I love it anyway. I'm on the Bar Belles FB group.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast