starting strength gym

Thread: Lowbar Squat Form Check Episode 2

Default Lowbar Squat Form Check Episode 2

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey, newbie here

posted last week a form check thread, got some really helpful responses, figured I'd ask you guys again if I managed to improve anything, and if not, what I'm still doing wrong

here's the form video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbJvJmbDyIg
    I was thinking that maybe I go too deep?
    Last edited by Moregnan; 04-07-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Can't get a glimpse of the knee angle from this view, but it looks fairly solid. Head neutral/eyes down, not too much forward/backward knee travel, hip drive looks decent in most reps. If I were to be nit-picky, I'd say you're actually a little too deep for the low bar which is causing some lower back rounding and a closed knee angle. Try to keep your knees a little more steady (the movement I see looks like inconsistency and not repeated error). Use your warm up sets to ingrain the movement and stay tight. You could even slow down a little bit as the weight looks fairly light.

Quote Originally Posted by darowe View Post
    Can't get a glimpse of the knee angle from this view, but it looks fairly solid. Head neutral/eyes down, not too much forward/backward knee travel, hip drive looks decent in most reps. If I were to be nit-picky, I'd say you're actually a little too deep for the low bar which is causing some lower back rounding and a closed knee angle. Try to keep your knees a little more steady (the movement I see looks like inconsistency and not repeated error). Use your warm up sets to ingrain the movement and stay tight. You could even slow down a little bit as the weight looks fairly light.
    I saw the same thing...your too deep...if you pause the vid at the bottom you will see what darowe is saying....also it looks like you heels come up a bit which is also cause back the back rounding...when you go too deep while trying to maintain your angles you tend to lean more forward causing the heels to rise....imo

Looks too loose, too fast, really dive-bombing the whole. Tighten your shit up, drop down, get a little bounce and pop back up. Maybe try TUBOW

I should have emphasized maintaining a firm isometric contraction of your spinal erectors/core. It is VITAL that you do not sacrifice tightness for depth. Issues of depth in LBBS are usually associated with forward knee travel or a bar path tends forward and not actual flexibility.