starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: form check squat

Default form check squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Could anyone and everyone give me some advice about
    my squat technique. I made it to 350 3x5 squat but decided to deload to 275 because my form is complete trash. I have made some notes to keep a tighter back, go deeper and wrists straight. https://youtube.com/watch?feature=yo...&v=sEU5mAHl8bc
    Last edited by bonsai006; 04-17-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Looks very good to me. Do you have 350 video?

Here is a video I took of 345 before the deload. Hips are up before chest, need more depth, tighter back and head position is all messed up. Also I am doing what seems to be a good morning sort of.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CllOI2En...ature=youtu.be

I deloaded to 275 with plans on making 10 lb jumps for the first 3/4 workouts until I got to 305/315. (Or until form is fixed)

Been on this since January. Started at 180lb bodyweight. I was around 218lbs easter weekend and probably up a few more lbs since than. Hoping to fix my form up and hit 240 before I'm done with this.

The first vid looks similar to me. My hips pop up then there's a delay trying to straighten my back up. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or how to fix it if I have to.

You're heavy one doesn't look terrible other than a bit of a rounding of your back and raising your head up too high. Yeah, it has the hips popping up also. What do you reckon about fixing it?

I'm not sure how to fix it thats why I am posting here.

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

I reckon that could help.

Haha honestly man I've been watching this video, the art of manliness video and the 18 minute video on bar placement on repeat the last two days

Yep, in heavy set video it seems that you don't push enough against the bar with your neck and because of that your hips moves back and knees cave in and power from your hips leaks away.
    Same problem is actually slightly happening in deload video also.
    I would suggest you to try few "simple" things:
    1) Push your knees out.
    2) Really PUSH your neck against the bar when coming up from the hole.

I had similar problems and I think one excersise which helped me to understand how to push the neck against the bar was doing rack paused good mornings.
    Here's one example from youtube (starting @ 0:40)
    https://youtu.be/N8CNVQdg03A?t=40
    If you are following SS programming you could replace one squat day with this excersice for a couple of weeks. Do this with bended knees like you do it in squats, no straigth legs.
    This excercise is also good for training you to keep your core stiff and learn how to use your hip.

I'll look into that. I've read that Rip says the best thing to fix squats is to squat though.

starting strength coach development program
    Similar issues in both vids - but more evident in the heavier set. Your depth is just shy of deep enough. Varies from rep to rep - but knee slide is an issue - your knees are not set by half way down (at least), instead they slide forward into the hole then jag back again for the ascent (more prominent first couple of reps in the heavier video). As you do that - you collapse your knees in fairly dramatically & fold at the waist a bit (and lose your neutral back in the process) - which results in the weight being supported forward of your mid-foot.

Look down at the floor a few feet in front of you - the mirror does not exist! Big breath & lock that sucker down tight before you descend. Knees out HARD & tracking over your toes! Having your feet pointed out a little more may assist. Set knees earlier (TUBOW to help here). Sit your ass back, keep your knees out, drive up with your hips & hopefully the bar will now be up & down in a line over your mid-foot and your back won't round. Head down & keeping your knees out hard would be the first things I'd concentrate on. Dial it in watching your vids between sets. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast