starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift lockout issue

Default Deadlift lockout issue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all, I'd like to get some feedback on my deadlift form, particularly the lockout. I've had this issue where I roll my shoulders back at the top. Looking at footage, it's very pronounced but I don't feel myself doing it during the lift.

Here's my most recent DL set, 1x5 145kg yesterday.

Looking at the video myself what I notice is that I should take more time before the pull to lift my chest up and get SQUOZE. Would that correct the shoulder rolling?

Looks quite good and side view video would be more informative. To improve even more I would drop your hip few inches. Then your back would be less horizontal.
    To try this at first bend your knees more. Then follow instructions from soda's thread. And after this try to imitate his fixed form.
    You are big guy and you might benefit from bit wider stance to get room for your belly. At least worth to try.
    I don't see any problematic shoulder work.

Dropping my hips is an interesting point, at the Copenhagen camps I was the only person being yelled at to drop my hips, everyone else was cued to keep their hips up. My question is, how should I work that into the setup and how far down should my hips be coming?

I don't find my belly getting in the way for the setup, but it does currently prevent wearing a belt for the pulls, so that's a work in progress.

Thanks for the feedback!

I don't see any real problem with your lock out. I do believe you would be much happier if you did not crane your neck. Look at a spot 2 or 3 feet on the ground and keep it there.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Your shoulders are fine. Yes, you're missing out a touch on some quad leverage for the pulls.
    Alright, I'll try dropping my hips a bit for my next workout.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Tried dropping my hips a bit in the setup, looking at the video I didn't really succeed. Did manage to keep my head down though.

Yesterdays DL set.

Edit: also noticing a bit of arm bend at the lockout. Need to correct that.

The arm bend at lock out is barely noticeable but it may have some affect. I don't lift 325 yet but I see little problem with your form.

That makes sense. My wife has a slight tendency to do that. For some reason I have avoided it so far.

Yeah, that reason among others is why I switched to hooking my work sets. Other reasons: bar kept rolling forward after every rep, my grip strength is already quite uneven and lastly, the thumbs are evil and must be punished.

I need to fix the arm bend because it's especially pronounced on my power cleans. I haven't cleaned in a while but it got worse and worse as the weight got heavier. When I reintroduce cleans in a week or 2 I'm going to do the full learning progression (for like the 4th or 5th time or something) and see if I can finally get it down.

I'll try pointing my toes out a bit more next session. What I found tricky with dropping my hips more is knowing how much to do it. With the SS setup, as long as you don't drop your hips after you drop your shins forward til they touch the bar, you're good, right? Except I apparently need to get into position, then drop my hips. How much do you think I should drop them, an inch or two?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    I'll try pointing my toes out a bit more next session. What I found tricky with dropping my hips more is knowing how much to do it. With the SS setup, as long as you don't drop your hips after you drop your shins forward til they touch the bar, you're good, right? Except I apparently need to get into position, then drop my hips. How much do you think I should drop them, an inch or two?
    There is no exact answer for correct depth because everybody has individual leverage ratios. You can try different depths to see which works best for you. Even if you start from different depths usually the bar will get off the floor about same hip depth. Thats because you cannot push the bar off just using your legs.
    Here is a good example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3tP4Rw6Ro