starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prowler & Traction

Default Prowler & Traction

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When using the Prowler (Rogue Butcher, actually) in the grass, I'm barely able to get enough traction to push it, even though I only have two plates on it. Some cleats would probably help, but I have a section of driveway to cover in the middle of my route...pretty sure the cleats would get no traction there. I was wondering if turf cleats might work on both surfaces. Any thoughts?

When using the Prowler on asphalt, I'm still barely able to get enough traction, and using the low handles is particularly difficult. I can't imagine how these guys that load up the sled with plates are able to get it to budge. I'm wearing some cross-trainer type of shoe and was wondering if there is something better for asphalt. Maybe any running shoe would be an improvement?

Some observations after three Prowler workouts:

• I'm only able to go slightly faster on asphalt than grass, but I feel equally winded.
    • The metabolic impact of the sprint doesn't hit me until about 20 seconds after I stop and then I can hardly breathe.
    • I can only budge the thing a few inches on a concrete sidewalk and it leaves ugly scrapes on the concrete.
    • Pushing it on concrete with lots of medium-sized rocks mixed in is pretty easy.
    • On grass, if the ground is wet, a bow wave of mud tends to form; if the grass is dense enough, it doesn't cause much of a problem pushing, but it messes up the lawn.
    • On grass, I couldn't get the thing to budge using the lower handles.
    • This is a lot better than running; if I had known about this a few years ago, I might have skipped the weight training.

Sounds like you've got it loaded too heavy for you. Take some weight off and push it on asphalt. Grass is a bad idea with anything but the sled itself. It definately is hard but you should be able to push it? I'm thinking your shoes aren't very grippy or your bodyweight is low? You really have to drive low into the prowler, not pushing like a shopping trolley.

I built one and thought I'd push it on the grass. Doesn't work at all. I use it in the road in front of my house and that works fine. Another vote for asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    I built one and thought I'd push it on the grass. Doesn't work at all. I use it in the road in front of my house and that works fine. Another vote for asphalt.
    Yep me too. Does nothing but dig in to the yard.

It works ok on grass during the Winter here, but not so much when it starts growing.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    not all asphalt is equal.
    I guess that's it. The street is pretty rough...mostly rock sticking up above the asphalt. It hasn't been repaved in a long time. Most of the videos I see have people using it on parking lots, which tend to be pretty smooth. I'm OK with a jog...not sure I really need to sprint with the thing.

Thanks everyone.

Double post
    Last edited by Vogstar; 05-19-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    I'm OK with a jog...not sure I really need to sprint with the thing.
    We assume you're using it for HIIT, which is done at full capability, sprinting with the correct weight looks like jogging speed.
    If you're just using it for recovery don't load so much up and take it for a jog

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    sprinting with the correct weight looks like jogging speed.
    I'm sprinting, then. Thx.

starting strength coach development program
    I use mine on grass. Unloaded, and I use boots with studs (my old rugby boots, if that means anything over the pond)

It's easier when the grass is wet, and it cuts it up a bit but not enough that it doesn't recover within a week. And it's someone else's grass anyway.

Sounds like you need to take some weight off and get the right footwear?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast