starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Part II

Default Squat Form Check Part II

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    A few days ago I posted a squat check video and got some great feedback. I tried to learn from my mistakes and here is my squat from today. Please critique:

Squat check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1j4vNDRgBM&t=4s

-Sam

Sam,

Your grip is 100% better. Your stance looks about right and you are doing a reasonable job of pushing your knees out. Your bar position looks about right, but you are still trying to do a high bar squat. You are still trying to stay too upright (focus on sitting back much more and bend over more), and you need to adjust your head position such that you are looking at the floor (line of sight) about 4' to 5' in front of you. Your knees look like they are coming too forward over your toes, but this should get much better with a greater back angle (more bent over). Think about driving your hips up from the bottom, not your chest.

What Scott said. As Rip says, "point your nipples at the ground." Right now you are squatting into your knees instead of your hips. Think about reaching your hips/hamstrings back and STAYING in your hips throughout the whole movement. This will open up your shin angle a bit and get you bent over a bit more which is where we need you to be.

Look down, too?

Reach back with your hips, let your upper body lean over more. Use the TUBOW.