starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey guys,

I'm mostly concerned with my knee travel as it's often inconsistent when I'm squatting. On some reps my knees are okay and on some reps my knees either sliding forwards the entire way down or they dart forwards at the bottom. Also sometimes I'll have a have a bunch of workouts in a row where my knee movement is fine and then I'll have a workout where it's not good, but I don't realize it until I watch the video of my squats.

Any comments on this or anything else you can see are appreciated.

5' 5", 21 years old, 165 lbs
    365x6 squats from yesterday
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgMWJSHQ2w

Thanks.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. If I kept my back angle consistent coming out of the hole, would that help with my knees? And should my knees not be coming back a little to start my ascent?

You're killing your hip drive and lifting the chest on the ascent. Drive the hips all the way up.

I think it would be more beneficial to focus on driving the hips and self cueing a vertical bar path. Back angle is somewhat dynamic... over thinking it may cause more issues than it fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by darowe View Post
    I think it would be more beneficial to focus on driving the hips and self cueing a vertical bar path. Back angle is somewhat dynamic... over thinking it may cause more issues than it fixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This is generally true, and your cues are proper. In this case the trainee (OP) might be able to deal with maintaining the back angle. Hell, OP is pretty strong!
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll work on the hip drive and vertical bar path and see how that affects my knee movement and back angle.