starting strength gym

Thread: Learning the Power Clean

Default Learning the Power Clean

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yo dudes/dudettes,

Was hoping to get some tips on my power clean. This would be my third workout with them and only the 2nd with added weight.

I don't have access to bumper plates, hence the goofy start.

Back was a little fatigued so I didn't get full extension on the pull, but other than that, how'd I do?

Currently:
    I'm 6'3", 215 lbs.
    Squat 205 5rm, reset to 155ish due to hamstring tightness keeping me from pushing my ass out. Trying to work on doing it right before I continue adding weight.
    Press 110
    Bench 150
    Deadlift 255
    PC 85

Thanks in advance, yo.

5th set of 3-- https://youtu.be/0-gX-V1xPLM

Hello,

I think the book says that, while you work up to bumper-size weights, starting the lift from a low-hang position is the way to go. On the other hand, I think it's also harder to get a correct starting position when you hang the bar like that. The natural tendency is to hold the bar with arms straight down, so your shoulders directly on top of the bar, when they should be forward of it.
    Using some blocks/supports/piles of other weights allows you to go through the set-up procedure without having to worry about holding the bar, and I think this makes it a bit easier to hit a better start position.

So, if you possible can, I would suggest trying to use some blocks, and see if that makes the setup easier.

Also, and this is a perennial around here, make sure you stay over the bar when this reaches the jump position. If your shoulders are directly over, you lose something in the explosion upwards.

Hope this helps.

IPB

I noticed you're a natural in the rack - bar on the delts, no rearranging things to get there, hands open, bar out of the palm of your hand, and I was impressed. Then I noticed your grip on the bar at the hang, which is already all open-fingered and bar hanging from the second knuckle which obviously won't work for long. I gotta say, though that especially for being self-taught this is a pretty good clean. Practice your hook grip and as IPB said get some blocks or even better is a $42 set of dimes from Rogue:
    Rogue Echo Bumper Plates | Rogue Fitness

Awesome, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll see what I can do about bumpers/blocks and work on the ol' hook grip.