starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to maintain strength while cutting fat?

Default best way to maintain strength while cutting fat?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mr. Rippetoe,

I don't remember if this was mentioned in PP3, what is the optimal way to cut while maintaining strength?

In general terms, lift heavy as you can and avoid deloading weight for as long as possible. If you're a beginner, expect to stall on your linear progression sooner than someone who's eating at maintenance or above.

What would be a program for cutting?

I'm going no carb for three weeks to cut my disproportionate belly fat I gained during 5 months of novice LP. I am hoping to maintain my lift weights, but unlikely to gain during this period. All that said, the experienced guys on this board would likely tell me its too early to worry about cutting, and they're probably right. Damn you, Ego!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I'm going no carb for three weeks to cut my disproportionate belly fat I gained during 5 months of novice LP. I am hoping to maintain my lift weights, but unlikely to gain during this period. All that said, the experienced guys on this board would likely tell me its too early to worry about cutting, and they're probably right. Damn you, Ego!!
    I've cut 10lbs. Of body fat while increasing strength during a 3 month prriod.
    You need to know what your doing. So your plan of eliminating carbs may suggest otherwise.

What is your macro and calorie plan?

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    You need to know what your doing. So your plan of eliminating carbs may suggest otherwise.

I'm guessing eating slightly less than your TDEE at a 40/40/20 macro would be good way to cut? What training program do you use while cutting?

What did you do exactly to cut while increasing strength?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    I'm guessing eating slightly less than your TDEE at a 40/40/20 macro would be good way to cut? What training program do you use while cutting?

What did you do exactly to cut while increasing strength?
    p - 200g
    f - 40 - 60g
    c - 80- 125g

Slight calorie deficit - about 200 cal/day

Carb cycle based on training days and rest days.

First, I weighted myself everyday at the same time - early morning. I took the average weight for the week and logged it. When my weight stabilized this became my maintenance cal/day.

Than i started to reduce the calories SLOWLY, until I saw the scale move. For me it was about a 200 cal/day deficit. this is for rest days only. On rest days O carbs from starch/fruit etc. I ate carbs from only green veggies

On Training days I would eat at maintenance cal/day. Also, I would eat non starch fruit and one slice of bread

in the first several weeks, I ate no starchy carbs. The carbs came from green veggies.

I ate a serving of fruit (berries or grapefruit) before bedtime. I ate one slice of Ezekiel Bread at bedtime. I kept the total amount of carbs from fruit and bread to under 30g, the balance green veggies.

Cardio 3 x a week for 30 minutes.

My training is individualized. I originally took Candito's Intermediate format, tore it down and modified it based on a modified prilepin chart and RPE scale. Funny thing, since I started modifying Candito's program it no longer resembles much of it anymore.

Hope this helped.

You can cut and gain strength. You need to go about it slowly.

Well, you're right that I may not "know" what I'm doing regarding a specific eating or cutting plan. I am not much good at the detailed tracking of my macros, although I'm trying. I've read quite a bit on the matter on this board, as well as "To Be a Beast". My biggest weakness, I'd say, is the tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Well, you're right that I may not "know" what I'm doing regarding a specific eating or cutting plan. I am not much good at the detailed tracking of my macros, although I'm trying. I've read quite a bit on the matter on this board, as well as "To Be a Beast". My biggest weakness, I'd say, is the tracking.
    I don't recall responding to you? I thought I was responding to the OP who started the post and is planning on cutting out carbs.

We are all different in that some do and some don't track. I like to track especially when cutting and bulking. when maintaining, i have a good sense of what I'm eating calorie wise.

I use myfitnesspal on my cell. Its pretty easy.

If you track for awhile, you will find you can get away from it if you eat consistently the same way.

It takes me literally 10 minutes a day. Once the app has your foods they automatically recall.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't recall responding to you? I thought I was responding to the OP who started the post and is planning on cutting out carbs.

We are all different in that some do and some don't track. I like to track especially when cutting and bulking. when maintaining, i have a good sense of what I'm eating calorie wise.

I use myfitnesspal on my cell. Its pretty easy.

If you track for awhile, you will find you can get away from it if you eat consistently the same way.

It takes me literally 10 minutes a day. Once the app has your foods they automatically recall.
    You must have hit my post on accident. You were spot on, in any event. I've got that app. I'll spend more time on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast