starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hands going numb at night

Default Hands going numb at night

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ever come across numbness in the fingers at night.

I went low carb kinda paleo for a few months and consistently would be awoken once and sometimes twice during the night with a tingling numbness in one hand, usually the pinky and ring finger. A little fit pumping or hand shaking would usually restore full sensation and then I would go back to sleep. Still it bugged me for a while.

I tried being more aware of arm position that may cut off circulation. But then it occurred to me that it might be diet related. Once I started eating more carbs, no more numbness at night. Even now, when I cycle to lower carb days (under 100g) it'll happen sometimes.

I'm wondering if you think there could be a connection.

It's almost certainly not carbohydrate related. It sounds a lot like cubital tunnel and most people sleep in some sort of elbow flexion that tends to make this occur. See your doc to get some splints to sleep with at night and maybe a joint injection if it's really bothering you. Of course getting a real history and physical might suggest something else and your doc can help you there to, but it's unlikely to be the carbs in any case.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 07-04-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Carpal tunnel is more median nerve. This sounds more ulnar nerve entrapment. Regardless, it's highly unlikely to be food related and you need a doc to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Carpal tunnel is more median nerve. This sounds more ulnar nerve entrapment. Regardless, it's highly unlikely to be food related and you need a doc to look at it.
    LOL I didn't even read the part about the pinky in this post because he had double submitted it and left that out of the first one. I changed my response so I look less dumb.

I think your pect minors are tight and pressing on the nerve. Stretch them and it will go away (at least mine did).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    LOL I didn't even read the part about the pinky in this post because he had double submitted it and left that out of the first one. I changed my response so I look less dumb.
    To your credit, I double checked that there weren't common anatomical variants to make sure before contradicting you.

Ganglion cysts are abother common one, but if it's only at night, you're probably right in that it's positional, aka cubital.

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow View Post
    I think your pect minors are tight and pressing on the nerve. Stretch them and it will go away (at least mine did).
    Pressing on what nerve?

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    To your credit, I double checked that there weren't common anatomical variants to make sure before contradicting you.

Ganglion cysts are another common one, but if it's only at night, you're probably right in that it's positional, aka cubital.
    It's true, I do have a Master's in Anatomy, but am a novice level speed reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Pressing on what nerve?
    I don't know what it is called. I mean the nerve (or segment thereof) passing under the pect minor and connects to the ulnar nerve.

starting strength coach development program
    I get the ring/pinky finger numbness, too. I can confirm that it is positional, and it's got something to do with elbow flexion. Reading in bed will do it, or just laying on the back with the hands resting on the stomach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast