starting strength gym

Thread: I need help programming for my 68 year old Mother.

Default I need help programming for my 68 year old Mother.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm helping my mother train with Starting Strength. She is 5'8", 145lbs. She is scheduled to get a hip replacement in October. She has reduced range of motion in the left hip and cannot squat anywhere near parallel, much less to depth. The sharpest knee angle she can achieve is about 130 degrees.

I have her training twice per week in order to have plenty of recovery time. Here are her numbers. (All 3X5, except deadlift).

Press: 32.5lbs
    Bench Press 42.5lbs
    Deadlift 100lbs She is pulling off of a 3" box. I can't get her hip below her shoulder if she pulls from the floor.
    She is not power cleaning.

Her deadlift is stalled. She has failed to pull 105 twice in a row, with one week between attempts.

I want her to squat, but don't know what to do with that as she can't get that hip angle to close up enough to squat more than 8-10" deep.

What would you have her do? She is enjoying this work. She is measurably stronger and more confident. What suggestions do you have for us to follow before the hip surgery in October?

Have her start Squatting or Box Squatting. Above parallel is fine. Keep her weight back off her forward foot and she shouldn't have any problems. She'll only be using body weight or light weights anyways.

When she lifts, get her a few good quality sets of 5 no matter what weight it occurs at. So if she can't get 100 on a given day, have her do 90x5. Just get the work in.

There is no need to power clean with a 68 year old woman.

Remember, one of the most important aspects of coaching elderly/older clients is FLEXIBILITY. Not theirs, yours. Programming is rarely linear and there are lots of bumps in the roads, bad days, etc. Do what you can with what ya got on any given day. If strength is great, make a big jump. If it's off - scale back.

Keep things in perspective - you got your older mother training with barbells. That's a win. Keep her progressing where you can, but don't force it. And whatever you do, don't hurt her trying to chase a PR.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Have her start Squatting or Box Squatting. Above parallel is fine. Keep her weight back off her forward foot and she shouldn't have any problems. She'll only be using body weight or light weights anyways.

When she lifts, get her a few good quality sets of 5 no matter what weight it occurs at. So if she can't get 100 on a given day, have her do 90x5. Just get the work in.

There is no need to power clean with a 68 year old woman.

Remember, one of the most important aspects of coaching elderly/older clients is FLEXIBILITY. Not theirs, yours. Programming is rarely linear and there are lots of bumps in the roads, bad days, etc. Do what you can with what ya got on any given day. If strength is great, make a big jump. If it's off - scale back.

Keep things in perspective - you got your older mother training with barbells. That's a win. Keep her progressing where you can, but don't force it. And whatever you do, don't hurt her trying to chase a PR.
    Thanks so much! I'll keep you apprised.