starting strength gym

Thread: Lifts decreased by a lot after 2 week break

Default Lifts decreased by a lot after 2 week break

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, have a question for you that I hope you can help with

Just come back from 2 weeks in Brazil and hit the gym the day after landing. Dropped my squat by 7.5kg but I struggled big time to complete even 1 set. My OP had dropped a little but not to much. I put it down to potential jet lag and finished the session

Today I've come in, dropped my squat by another 2.5kg and stalled again. That's a 10kg drop from my squat PR 2 weeks ago. My bench has seemingly suffered the most. Dropped it by 10kg from my last bench PR and couldn't even hit 2 reps.

Now is it normal for lifts to drop so drastically after a 2 week break? I kept my calorie intake high while away and made sure I got lots of rest and limited my acohol intake. Could it be because my muscles are not used the intensity and I need to deload more? Ill simply work my way up back to where I was but is this a normal occurance?

Cheers

Age/bodyweight/bodyweight loss/lifts/training history? Were you swimming outside many hours a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Age/bodyweight/bodyweight loss/lifts/training history? Were you swimming outside many hours a day?
    23, 175 pounds, 280 squat 165 bench 320 deadlift 120 op 100 pc, been on and off for a year or so due to a couple of injuries.

And no I didn't swim much.

How tall are you? DID YOU LOSE ANY BODYWEIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How tall are you? DID YOU LOSE ANY BODYWEIGHT?
    5"10 and no I think I stayed at the same weight

Well, you detrained a little. At your height and bodyweight this is to be expected, much more so than for an older more muscular man who has trained consistently for years. You will recover, eventually, even with your on-and-off schedule.

For what it's worth, this has happened to me before, and what works for me it to deload 10% per week missed and just build back up to where I was. A 20% deload on my lifts would probably take me about 2-4 weeks to get back to where I was.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick1984 View Post
    23, 175 pounds, 280 squat 165 bench 320 deadlift 120 op 100 pc, been on and off for a year or so due to a couple of injuries.

And no I didn't swim much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick1984 View Post
    5"10 and no I think I stayed at the same weight
    Sheesh, kids these days...