starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBD Knee sleeves - experiences?

Default SBD Knee sleeves - experiences?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Any of you guys have any experience with the SBD knee sleeves? I'm considering getting a pair, and I'm looking for general takes on their quality, sizing and usefulness.

Worth the investment? Here in Norway they'll run me about 100 dollars, which isn't so bad if it's a quality investment that'll last me a long time.

Should I get them real tight or "just right"?

Quote Originally Posted by ambivalens View Post
    Any of you guys have any experience with the SBD knee sleeves? I'm considering getting a pair, and I'm looking for general takes on their quality, sizing and usefulness.

Worth the investment? Here in Norway they'll run me about 100 dollars, which isn't so bad if it's a quality investment that'll last me a long time.

Should I get them real tight or "just right"?
    I bought REhband and used them for one set and they fell apart at the seams. I bought SBD and love them. You want them tight but so tight you can't get them on without help. I own medium, I'm 5/6 @ 160lbs. IMO they are worth the cost.

I had the grey rehbands primarily for warmth and a bit of support. Had them for 3 years, by that time they'd split in several places offered no support but were still warm. Got the SBD's about 6 months ago. I wanted them for a bit of bounce this time so I sized at the lower end of "tight". They were a bit of a pain to get on the first few times but once I figured out the technique were fine. Think I've washed them twice and they still look good as new, in fact they're perfect really. The only downside was I squatted without them for the first time last week and had zero bounce coming out of the hole and struggled with 170kg's. I'm now programming once a week squatting without them to work on this.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My knee joint measures 43cm around, which in the "tight fit" category puts me at the very end of the XL category, and the very start of 2XL - which would you go for?

I got a pair a few weeks ago and I like them. I have never had a pair of knee sleeves before. I live in the US and paid about $100 for them.

My measurement was 15 inches so I was on the fence whether to by the large or the XL. I bought the XL and they fit just right. If I would have bought the large I think that I would have trouble getting them on. I am happy that I went with the XL.

SBDs are the best by far. Get the tightest fit you can. My knee measures 16.5" and I wear a L. I've been wearing the same pair for over a year now and they look perfect.

Edit: just double checked, my knee is actually a little over 17". Unless you have big calves I'd get the L.
    Last edited by elVarouza; 08-09-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    SBDs are the best by far. Get the tightest fit you can. My knee measures 16.5" and I wear a L. I've been wearing the same pair for over a year now and they look perfect.

Edit: just double checked, my knee is actually a little over 17". Unless you have big calves I'd get the L.
    Hm, my knee joint is 43cm around, and my calf is about 46cm at its thickest. Are you really wearing the Large with 17" inch knee, and not the XL?

I'm ~41.5cm with a large. Any tighter would suck for training.

I actually switched back to my titans. My SBDs just don't feel good and keep my knees from going where I want them to.

starting strength coach development program
    SBD's are excellent, they hold up pretty well. I have a pair of mediums and a pair of larges. In terms of sizing, my knees are ~15 1/2 inches around, with small calves. Larges are comfortable for an entire workout, and no struggle to get on over tights. Mediums are a bit of a hassle to get on, so I only wear them on PR attempts. The larges don't really add to my squat other than knee warmness, but the mediums certainly do. If you wear them for an extended period without washing (i.e. couple months on end) you may find them get a little looser, but they tighten up again once you wash & dry them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast