starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check Please?

Default Squat Check Please?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJJgDTd_gms

Hey coaches, just checking in. I've progressed quite a bit since my last form check. Still trying to work on the wrist alignment issue. Seems as if it's a more difficult fix for me than it should be. Main components that I'm focusing on are driving my knees out hard on the descent while leaning over. I've found that when the weights get heavier I can't drive my knees out quite as far. I was literally exaggerating this cue at lighter loads because that's what I really needed to work on. I wasn't really shoving them out at all before.

Those look okay to me. Do you notice how you send your butt back on the ascent and your knees come in? There are two potential fixes to this.
    1. Lean over a little more on the way down (while driving your knees out).
    2. Focus on driving your butt up, not back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Those look okay to me. Do you notice how you send your butt back on the ascent and your knees come in? There are two potential fixes to this.
    1. Lean over a little more on the way down (while driving your knees out).
    2. Focus on driving your butt up, not back.
    I notice that I do indeed send my butt back now that you pointed it out to me. I wonder why I'm wanting to push my butt back and up instead of straight up? When it gets heavy coming out of the hole I try to imagine that the weight is positioned just above my hips. I'm going to try to lean over a little more on the descent. Thanks Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0Jg5_IBWQ

Here I am at 335. I tried to lean over a little more. Although it did seem a bit awkward, I found that it enabled me to come out of the hole easier. They felt fine, but after reviewing the video I noted that my hips still wanted to shoot back a bit. Do you think cutting my depth off a little higher may help? Thx.

A slight change in back angle/sending the butt back is not a cause for concern. Too much slows the squat and makes everything more difficult. It is normally and artifact of not leaning over quite enough. Depth looks okay on most. Knees stayed in place well. Driving your knees out a little more will drop you another inch and get you below parallel without a shadow of a doubt.

Here is my last work set @ 345. The reps are getting tough, but I feel as if I'm keeping my form composed through them. I'm going to have to convert back to a WP program soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXlshfWPmAY

starting strength coach development program
    Those look very good. Consider a very slightly narrower stance, although there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Go forth in sin.