starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rage vs calm

Default Rage vs calm

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So over the past few weeks I've been getting an increasing amount of stress in my life. I initially thought how it would batter my training and i would see a steady decline... Instead I've been smashing it and its lead me to think a lot about effective ways to drive your training up. In my gym there seems to be this new trend of mindfulness and calm being applied to lifting. These people's numbers are either stagnant or increasing at a snails pace. I on the other hand am entering my training sessions in foul moods with the intention of lifting until I'm hurt. Does anyone think there is anything to this?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    So over the past few weeks I've been getting an increasing amount of stress in my life. I initially thought how it would batter my training and i would see a steady decline... Instead I've been smashing it and its lead me to think a lot about effective ways to drive your training up. In my gym there seems to be this new trend of mindfulness and calm being applied to lifting. These people's numbers are either stagnant or increasing at a snails pace. I on the other hand am entering my training sessions in foul moods with the intention of lifting until I'm hurt. Does anyone think there is anything to this?
    I mess up if I get too amped or not amped enough. But I need to get into a sort of tunnel-vision zone place to do my really heavy work. This is actually what I "play" in my head before a real heavy set or single:

Yeah I just needed a thread title. If you watch me in videos I look very calm but inside I'm just fucking seething. Focused anger is a great way of putting it. Like people in fighting sports need to be full of it but it needs to be focused directly into delivering effective and powerful movement. I read recently how a few MMA fighters recently went to the Amazon and took Ayahuasca. Afterwards they retired from fighting because they just didn't have it in them anymore to hit people!

An appropriately timed topic. I always have been a controlled focus type and dislike theatrics. I just finished a fantastic new article by Jim Wendler over at T-Nation, "Passing the Lifting Torch, Youth training Wendler style."
    He discusses this aspect nicely. The article is awesome and a keeper in my book. His routine would serve anyone well, and he explains training to be a strong and healthy person as well as athlete.

Regards,

Shawn

a few MMA fighters recently went to the Amazon and took Ayahuasca. Afterwards they retired from fighting because they just didn't have it in them anymore to hit people!
    Intimately familiar with the experience & change of heart. If anything, though, I'm "harder" post-change-of-heart. Fear, sport & bloodlust are just less relevant inputs to choices now.

It's interesting. So you can flick he switch and use it to your advantage right? I think that's the ultimate goal and why I'm starting to think it's almost an essential element of your life. I'll refer back to the approach of some people in my gym who are fully trying to encompass this whole mindfulness and zen like approach to their whole lives. They are not accepting the stress/anger/focused rage and as a bystander it seems like their training is going nowhere. Do we actually need it?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    If we didn't need it, we wouldn't have it.
    Tell that to the appendix.

It's interesting. So you can flick he switch and use it to your advantage right? I think that's the ultimate goal and why I'm starting to think it's almost an essential element of your life. I'll refer back to the approach of some people in my gym who are fully trying to encompass this whole mindfulness and zen like approach to their whole lives. They are not accepting the stress/anger/focused rage and as a bystander it seems like their training is going nowhere. Do we actually need it?
    The "mindfulness" & "zen" I encountered in San Fran were fluff, affectation & righteousness.

What I enountered in a few Rinzai monastaries elsewhere was a brutal realism. I was much, much, much too soft for Rinzai Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Isn't the appendix useful if we went back to eating raw meat and other "paleo" types of foods?
    Something about a bacteria safe-house.

That use is not needed in a modern industrialized society, Parker said. If a person’s gut flora dies, they can usually repopulate it easily with germs they pick up from other people, he said. But before dense populations in modern times and during epidemics of cholera that affected a whole region, it wasn’t as easy to grow back that bacteria and the appendix came in handy.

Appendix may be useful after all - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News

starting strength coach development program
    I am not a big believer in overusing mental arousal. I get mentally arroused enough just approaching a heavily load d bar . Heart rate goes up all that stuff. Getting pissed of on purpose in training g seems like it would be harder and harder to duplicate and probably accounts for extra stress. Being pissed off already due to life, the training helps relive that

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast