starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat/Bench/Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat/Bench/Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    All videos are work sets. Bench is third set, squat is both the second and the third set, for both views. Please excuse the homoerotic Navy shirt, I read to not wear black for these videos, and it's the only workout shirt that I have that isn't black.

This is my sixth workout in SS, my log can be found here:
    Torsitano's SS Log

Squat
    https://youtu.be/6IP4GkRE6M8

Bench
    https://youtu.be/vsSR4H9eKH0

Deadlift
    https://youtu.be/Lxhp1-S5vT4

A lot of those squat reps looked high. Stop rolling your wrists under. Set up first, then squat - you're rushing it. DO NOT EVER BACK IN TO RERACK YOUR SQUATS. And for fuck's sake stop looking around in the middle of a rep.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 09-26-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Some safety considerations, first. As mentioned above, always unrack/rack while facing the J-hooks. Not sure about squatting on carpet - isn't it soft/unstable under load? Raise the safeties on the squat at least 1 hole, probably 2. They're too low right now if you have to bail.

Your bench safeties look like they're too low to save you if you fail a rep. This is potentially deadly. The spacing in your power rack doesn't help - looks like 4" hole spacing?

Your squat stance looks pretty narrow, with your toes turned out more than they should be with that stance. You want your knees to track directly over your toes, in line with your feet. Generally you are quite loose during the squat. Your knees move around, your hips move from side to side, and you're looking around during the set. Pick a spot on the floor 4-5 feet in front of you and keep your gaze there throughout the set. Tighten everything up, then take and hold a deep breath before you take the bar out of the rack and stay tight throughout the set. Keep your abs tight like you are going to get punched in the stomach. Get your knees out hard and keep them there every rep.

You have no arch or leg drive on the bench. Get your upper back tight and keep it tight until you're done with your set. Take a deep breath in and hold it before you unrack and before each rep (Valsalva maneuver).

You start with the bar too far forward on the deadlift. When you are standing upright, the bar should be 1" from your shins. This will put the bar over the middle of your foot. Your hips are too low when you start pulling. You need to take a deep breath and hold it before starting the pull. Don't exhale at the top or on your way up or while the bar is off the ground at any point. Stand up all the way. Don't look in the mirror off to the side at the top of the pull. Why are you taking the bar out of the rack before you start deadlifting and then returning it to the rack on your last rep? Can you not load it on the floor?

All the lifts need work. Do you have the book? Have you read it?

You probably need some closer hole spacing in your rack as well as some kind of platform so you're not on the carpet. Also, shoes would help.

Thanks for the notes guys, I'll work on all those things.

The only reason I backed into the hooks for the second one was for the camera. But I'll be sure to just move the hooks next time to the other side to avoid that. I did notice that my squats were higher than I had thought, once I had watched the video. I have always felt like I was going lower, however that could also be because I just recently switched from high bar to low bar, and am still getting used to them. I'll be sure to go lower in the future. I also definitely saw my knees moving around a bit, something I had never noticed before. What's generally the best thing to pay attention to to prevent that?

When you say bench safeties, are you referring to the side bars? The reason why I ask, is I can see no way for the side bars to be potentially helpful with the bench. If they are high enough to catch the bar, that means that must be ever so slightly above my chest, and I wouldn't be able to complete the full range of motion(touching my chest).

I do have the book, and am in the process of reading it. I stumbled across the SS program before acquiring the book. I don't have as much time to read as I would like.

As far as the carpet being too soft, this isn't something I've noticed. The padding in my apartment is relatively minimal. It's really not something I had previously thought about. I'm assuming a piece of plywood would be sufficient?

The spacing on my rack isn't the best. I followed the plans that I had found pretty closely when I built it, and if I were to do it again, spacing would be one of the things that I would change.

I don't normally notice a difference between when I wear shoes and when I don't. What's the benefit?

Again, thank you guys for the tips, I'm definitely going to work on all of those things. I appreciate your time. I should have new videos up after next session.

I'll chime in about your rack, since i built my own rack ( probably from the same plans you did): your rack does not look strong enough based on how much it moves when you rerack the weights. Each time those joints move they weaken, depending on how it was built. And one day the whole thing will collapse - potentially life threatening for you.

I've seen posts about some decent quality steel racks, not too expensive, maybe you should do a search for that. If not...

If youre not experienced will working with wood, find someone who is with framing or carpentry to help you out. I used a bunch of Simpson Strong Ties along with their structural screws on mine, and it doesn't move at all with a lot of weight on it. Its more expensive than just using deck screws or drywall screws (hopefully not those), but safety should be your first concern with this program.

Also dont get discouraged with all of the scolding that you will get concerning you equipment and lifting technique. Keep getting better, listen to everyone here. In a few months you'll have come so far, and you'll be very happy you stuck with it.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Torsitano View Post
    I also definitely saw my knees moving around a bit, something I had never noticed before. What's generally the best thing to pay attention to to prevent that?
    "Knees out" is the cue that is normally given.

When you say bench safeties, are you referring to the side bars? The reason why I ask, is I can see no way for the side bars to be potentially helpful with the bench. If they are high enough to catch the bar, that means that must be ever so slightly above my chest, and I wouldn't be able to complete the full range of motion(touching my chest).
    If you bench with an arch, you can touch the bar to your chest and the safeties will still be high enough to catch the bar once you relax and lose the arch. I don't arch much, but my rack has 1" hole spacing so I have it dialed in pretty close.

I do have the book, and am in the process of reading it. I stumbled across the SS program before acquiring the book. I don't have as much time to read as I would like.
    OK. If my post came across as harsh, I apologize. I know my technique needed a lot of work on my 6th SS workout. I wish I had asked for form checks then. There is a lot to get used to and remember. It takes time.

On the deadlift, this should help a lot with the setup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The earlier printings of the book had a typo. The middle of the foot means the middle of the ENTIRE foot, not the instep. One inch from the shin is directly over the mid-foot. And once you're in the proper position, you don't drop your butt -- you lift your chest. Don't lower the hips after you touch the bar with your shins.

Here is the copy from the poster we have up here in the gym:

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time

1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.
    As far as the carpet being too soft, this isn't something I've noticed. The padding in my apartment is relatively minimal. It's really not something I had previously thought about. I'm assuming a piece of plywood would be sufficient?
    Yeah, probably, as long as the plywood itself doesn't move around.

The spacing on my rack isn't the best. I followed the plans that I had found pretty closely when I built it, and if I were to do it again, spacing would be one of the things that I would change.
    Not sure what you can do now or how closely you can space the holes without risking having a rack that's not strong enough to hold a bar that's set down (or dropped, in case of injury) on the safeties. The Titan HD rack is $400.

I don't normally notice a difference between when I wear shoes and when I don't. What's the benefit?
    It's a more stable connection with the ground. Maybe it will be more noticeable when you are not on carpet. Also, Rip advocates shoes as a means of preventing fallen arches under heavy loads.

Deads: You set up too far away from the bar. Stop breathing during the lift. Breathe when the weights are on the floor. Squoze. Hips are too low. Set up with straight legs. That's enough for starters. But do you have the book?

Penske:

I agree, the swaying is a little much, and more than I intended. The rack is primarily constructed with #8 2 1/2 inch wood screws. The side pieces themselves are Strong as Ox, with absolutely no play whatsoever, however the cross bracing does have significant room for improvement. Those are improvements that I will be making soon when I have a little bit of time and money for the hardware. Right now, despite the swaying, I haven't seen any signs leading me to believe that it is about to fall apart. I have loaded about 400lbs on the hooks, and there was no squeaking, bowing, or anything. The rack was a learning experience for me though, which is why when I built my bench much more recently, I used 3/8" x 3" countersunk lag bolts.

I do appreciate your input though, especially since I was debating adding some metal angles on the cross peices for additional stability.

Manveer:

Thanks for the deatailed response. Don't worry about comming off as harsh, you weren't.

I'll see if there if the spacing allows me to do something similar for the side bars for the bench press. I made my bench high by about an inch, so if I need to pull it apart and trim down the legs really quick to get just the right height, I can do that.

I have 2 4x6 rubber stall mats sitting in my garage which I would love to stick underneath all of this, but unfortunately I imagine the smell of rubber would bother my wife too much. I may try cleaning them, and bringing them in to see. Does anyone have experience with rubber stall mats inside? As far as a piece of plywood goes, I would cut it to size for the rack, and secure it in, probably permanently, so moving shouldn't be an issue if that's the route I take.

As far as the Titan HD rack goes, I simply don't have the money for it. I built/bought almost all of this stuff back when I had a more consistent job. Right now, as a full time student, my income is fairly limited. And I'm not going to lie, I actually am fond of my wooden rack now. Even if I had the money, I would contemplate building something much nicer out of a hardwood(like hickory or walnut) instead of buying a metal rack. But either situation is a long time off.

Once I get a piece of plywood in, I'll see if I notice a difference in stability. As far as arches go, I don't really own shoes that I could lift in that have a viable arch support. My normal workout shoes are Merrell Trailgloves. It's my understanding that many people lift in shoes like Chuck Taylors, which also have no arch support. Also, I'm probably overstepping with my newness here, but fallen arches from weightlifting seems unlikely. Arches, by their nature, are designed to support weight, and in my opinion the argument for fallen arches is similar to what Rip says about the possibility of "shearing" a spine. Your arches naturally get stronger as you lift, I would think. I'm more familiar with those arguments as it applies to running and normal life, from the whole Born to Run movement/book, but I imagine it would carry over to weightlifting as well.

I also forgot to ask about the deadlifts and the rack; I normally put them up there for ease of changing weights. I can change them on the floor. If there is any reason why I should put them on the floor instead to change weights, just let me know and I'll do that.

Carson:

Thanks for the tips, I'll pay attention to those things next time. I do have the book.

Again, thanks everyone for the info. Don't worry about coming across as harsh, you're not.
    Last edited by Shawn Torsitano; 09-27-2015 at 11:57 AM.

I have 2 4x6 rubber stall mats sitting in my garage which I would love to stick underneath all of this, but unfortunately I imagine the smell of rubber would bother my wife too much. I may try cleaning them, and bringing them in to see. Does anyone have experience with rubber stall mats inside? As far as a piece of plywood goes, I would cut it to size for the rack, and secure it in, probably permanently, so moving shouldn't be an issue if that's the route I take.
    Yeah, stall mats don't ever seem to lose their smell. At least mine haven't after almost a year.

As far as arches go, I don't really own shoes that I could lift in that have a viable arch support. My normal workout shoes are Merrell Trailgloves. It's my understanding that many people lift in shoes like Chuck Taylors, which also have no arch support. Also, I'm probably overstepping with my newness here, but fallen arches from weightlifting seems unlikely. Arches, by their nature, are designed to support weight, and in my opinion the argument for fallen arches is similar to what Rip says about the possibility of "shearing" a spine. Your arches naturally get stronger as you lift, I would think.
    Well, Rip is the guy advising people to wear shoes, so perhaps he has some experience with this. I don't know how common or likely it is. I've never really trained barefoot. A lot of people do deadlift in slippers or barefoot, but most people prefer shoes for squatting. Here's one thread if you want to read the discussion:

The Art of Manliness: Weightlifting shoes

I also forgot to ask about the deadlifts and the rack; I normally put them up there for ease of changing weights. I can change them on the floor. If there is any reason why I should put them on the floor instead to change weights, just let me know and I'll do that.
    Well, when you are deadlifting heavier weights you won't want to have to pull a partial rep, then walk it out and set it down. Seems like doing a rack pull with the weight that's supposed to be your new 5RM would hurt your ability to actually pull the 5RM. Same goes for walking it into the rack at the end of a very difficult set. I can barely see straight after a heavy set of five, so I wouldn't want to have to walk the bar back to a rack. Get a dead wedge for $17.95 or mini deadlift jack (or make your own with pipe fittings for $30).

starting strength coach development program
    I have a similar issue on my DIY rack. If you get the right back arch and the safeties still aren't in the right location then change the bench height. If multiple people are using the bench then build some movable platforms to sit the bench on.

What is your plan when you miss a rep on the bench and the safeties are too low?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast