starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats: How to recognize lumbar over extension?

Default Squats: How to recognize lumbar over extension?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

Are there any cues to know when to stop the lumbar extension on the squats? How do you know if you're over extending ?

Step 1: Open the book.
    Step 2: Do the Superman drill in the back section.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig23 View Post
    Step 1: Open the book.
    Step 2: Do the Superman drill in the back section.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!!!
    Isn't that drill to learn how to activate a lumbar extension?

The lumbar extension in general is discussed on p. 44 but it doesn't cover how I can 'feel' a hyper extension the moment I'm doing the squat itself.

I want to be able distinguish the feeling between an extension and an over extension. Does that make sense?

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Take off your shirt. Go to a full-body mirror and turn to the side. Extend your lower back without contracting your abs. This is overextension. Now contract your abs hard, and then extend your lower back. Your lower back should be in close to the same shape as it was when you were just standing there. This is the neutral position, and it's what we want.

Please do not post pics or video of this.

It's really hard to feel hyperextension in the moment, unless you herniate a disc or have an aching pain afterwards. It's usually something that has to be diagnosed with video. If you don't feel a hard abdominal contraction, however, you are likely overextending.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Take off your shirt. Go to a full-body mirror and turn to the side. Extend your lower back without contracting your abs. This is overextension. Now contract your abs hard, and then extend your lower back. Your lower back should be in close to the same shape as it was when you were just standing there. This is the neutral position, and it's what we want.

Please do not post pics or video of this.

It's really hard to feel hyperextension in the moment, unless you herniate a disc or have an aching pain afterwards. It's usually something that has to be diagnosed with video. If you don't feel a hard abdominal contraction, however, you are likely overextending.
    Yeah I think I hyper extended and my SI joint has been sore for weeks now. At first I just held a deep breath. Then I started contracting my abs. But you're saying I have to contract my abs AND go into lumbar extension. Correct?

Btw, the difference I'm seeing between abs+extend and just (hyper) extend is minimal. Is this normal or?

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    Yeah I think I hyper extended and my SI joint has been sore for weeks now. At first I just held a deep breath. Then I started contracting my abs. But you're saying I have to contract my abs AND go into lumbar extension. Correct?
    Yeppers. The abs are a critical part of the stability required to move heavy things. Think like you are bracing your gut to take a hard punch...that's the kind of isometric contraction we need for squatting, deadlifting, etc.

Btw, the difference I'm seeing between abs+extend and just (hyper) extend is minimal. Is this normal or?
    Depends on the lordotic curve of the person. For me, there's a huge difference between the two because I have a big lordotic curve (you should see my arch on the bench press...). For someone with a minimal lordotic curve, you won't see a huge difference in the two positions.

I haven't seen you in person, so I don't know what category you'd fall into. I'm guessing the latter, but I'd have to see it to know.

Yeppers. The abs are a critical part of the stability required to move heavy things. Think like you are bracing your gut to take a hard punch...that's the kind of isometric contraction we need for squatting, deadlifting, etc.

Depends on the lordotic curve of the person. For me, there's a huge difference between the two because I have a big lordotic curve (you should see my arch on the bench press...). For someone with a minimal lordotic curve, you won't see a huge difference in the two positions.

I haven't seen you in person, so I don't know what category you'd fall into. I'm guessing the latter, but I'd have to see it to know.
    Just to be sure, do I extend + squeeze during every rep, or do you do it during the beginning of the set and just hold it?

Because I re-started training, and man. My abs+lower back got tired lol. Reps were also taking a longer time obv. Before I wouldn't even bother with all this, I would just take a gulp of air and squat haha.

Consigliere

Just to be sure, do I extend + squeeze during every rep, or do you do it during the beginning of the set and just hold it?
    Although you want to (have to) maintain rigidity even when just standing there with the bar, I would hope that you are much tighter when you actually start moving (and esp. at the bottom of the squat) than when you're standing at the top preparing to descend.

I would also hope that you're resetting your breath each rep. Keeps you from passing out, and allows you to tighten up more.

Because I re-started training, and man. My abs+lower back got tired lol. Reps were also taking a longer time obv. Before I wouldn't even bother with all this, I would just take a gulp of air and squat haha.
    Squats are very, very tiring if done heavy and right.

Although you want to (have to) maintain rigidity even when just standing there with the bar, I would hope that you are much tighter when you actually start moving (and esp. at the bottom of the squat) than when you're standing at the top preparing to descend.

I would also hope that you're resetting your breath each rep. Keeps you from passing out, and allows you to tighten up more.

Squats are very, very tiring if done heavy and right.
    - Yeah I take a deep breath when unracking (even though it isn't really necessary at 160lbs, but good to get the habit in I guess).
    - I walkout. Breath out.

And then the actual squat would be:
    - Take a deep breath into my abs
    - Lumbar extension / contract lower back
    - Contract abs
    - Sit back+break knees

Something I start to notice now that I pay more attention to contracting my abs + lumbar extension, is that I feel like I 'lose' my lumbar extension when I reach parallel or slightly below parallel depth. I cant sense the lower back contraction at that point. AFK this shouldn't happen unless I go ATG or something right? How do I fix this?

Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Something I start to notice now that I pay more attention to contracting my abs + lumbar extension, is that I feel like I 'lose' my lumbar extension when I reach parallel or slightly below parallel depth. I cant sense the lower back contraction at that point. AFK this shouldn't happen unless I go ATG or something right? How do I fix this?

How do you know you're actually losing back extension? Post a video...there may not be a problem to fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast