starting strength gym

Thread: Severe shoulder osteoarthritis in left shoulder

Default Severe shoulder osteoarthritis in left shoulder

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As the title suggests, I'm now stuck with severe shoulder OA, "luckily" in my non-dominant arm, luckily with very little to no debilitating chronic pain, but with severely limited ROM (about 30-40˚ of total rotation left, the biggest issue, but also about a 15˚ loss in full flexion). To the point that the squat, as prescribed by Coach Rip, has become impossible. Even by adjusting my grip as wide as possible. Thus, I am left with what I consider 3 options: use of a "safety squat bar", use of the high bar position (which is still "somewhat" problematic, but feasible) or use of the front squat.

What would you consider the "better" option?

High bar squat.

AC Joint OA, or Glenohumeral OA?

Default Bolt-on squat handles

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    High bar squat.
    Rip,

What about the bolt on squat bar handles? A quick google search finds several varieties, and I know they have helped John Pena squat after his cardiac implant deal.

sb

Ropes let the bar roll down the back. I have no experience with any of these handles.

Ropes let the bar roll down the back. I have no experience with any of these handles.
    I will ask John to bring them up when we go to the meet, see what you think.

sb

a few guys on the RT shared their experience in a thread, they seem to have had positive outcomes and allowed them to keep LBBS in their program. I never used them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    GH, due to prior (multiple) dislocations...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Berry View Post
    Rip,

What about the bolt on squat bar handles? A quick google search finds several varieties, and I know they have helped John Pena squat after his cardiac implant deal.

sb
    Yes, that is what I believe that would be similar to what I was implying by my referring to the "safety squat bar". I'll try to take or find a pic to see if we're alluding to the same bar here.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Too severe for anything but a shoulder replacement, yet too young and active to get said surgery (not that I would, especially if I can continue along this path of "no pain with limited ROM").

starting strength coach development program
    I'm pushing 40 in 2 months and have pretty much the same situation going on. Am 15 weeks post-op for an osteophyte removal and decompression. Anyway bought a safety squat bar after surgery and although it's not ideal, I can still squat. Lowbar ROM is sloooowly coming back but it's still a bitch (since surgery).

If LBBS and HBBS are causing too much pain because of (boney changes)
    Safety bar might be a good opinion.